NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 17:03:40 +0000
It really depends on the purpose of the dairy - is it for creaminess or for
the sugar content or for the protein content?

Since I'm allergic to soy and milk and my son is allergic to milk, we were
looking for a replacelent for the milk in a bread machine recipe. Simply
eliminating the requisite powdered milk resulted in a crust that was tough and
chewy.

Since the creaminiess wasn't the purpose of the milk content and since the
recipe already called for sugar, we figured that the missing ingredient was a
protein. When we discovered in a science class that wheat gluten is a protein,
we also discovered a replacement ingredient for the bread: a tablespoon
on "Vital Wheat Gluten." We get ours from WholeFoods (Bread and Circus).

You might want to experiment with a few batches to see whether soy milk, wheat
gluten, or some combination would be best.

Sounds yummy,

Mark