NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 11:38:24 -0500
Robyn asks:
>What about ferrous lactate.<

Ferrous lactate is an iron salt, used to fortify processed foods with iron.

Let me make a blanket statement, which will probably boomerang on me, but
I'll take that chance.

For the purposes of lactose intolerance (NOT milk allergy), don't worry
about anything on a food ingredients list that looks like "Lactose" unless
the word is actually "Lactose."  (Actually, the only other one I know of is
"reduced lactose whey," which is still up to 60% pure lactose.)

Lactates, lactylates, lactoglobulins, lactalbumins, lactic acids, glycerol
lacto palmitate, lactobacillus and all their ilk do not contain lactose and
have nothing to do with lactose (although they very well might be mixed in
with products that do contain lactose).

Hope this helps,

Steve Carper
author of Milk Is Not for Every Body: Living with Lactose Intolerance
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper