NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Carper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 1997 11:38:15 -0500
Tulip says:

>I just joined this list and I'm thrilled that it's here.  I'm a 41 year
old female and lactose intolerant for about the past 10 years.  I have a
few questions.  What exactly is casien and does it effect a LI individual?<

Casein is a family of milk proteins.  Since LI is a problem with digesting
the milk sugar, lactose, casein and its derivatives by themselves should
not pose any problem for people who are purely lactose intolerant and not
also allergic to milk.  Some studies have shown that small traces of
lactose may still exist in commercially processed casein.  Since there is
only a tiny percent of casein is in any portion of food and the lactose is
a tiny percent of that, it is still unlikely that the lactose would have an
affect except on _extremely_ sensitive individuals.  Current FDA rules, by
the way, state that any food package (except bottled milk) labeled "lactose
free" must indeed be 100% lactose free, even if casein is one of the
ingredients.

>I always read labels looking for "whey" and "lactose".  Is there anything
else I should look for?<

All milk products contain some lactose.  Other than the ones you mention,
most milk products are immediately identifiable as milk products (e.g.,
milk, cream, butter, cheese, dried dairy blend, ice cream).  Dried milks of
any kind, especially dried wheys, contain the highest lactose percentages.
(One exception: "whey protein isolate" is nearly or completely lactose
free;  do not confuse this with the much more common "whey protein
concentrate," a high lactose ingredient.)   Liquid milks are usually in the
range of 5% lactose.  Cheeses are usually much lower, and butter and
margarine contain the least lactose of all.  A comprehensive listing of
milk products and their lactose contents can be found in my book.

>I sometimes use Lactaid pills, taking up to 10 at a clip.  Can this be
dangerous?<

There is no known evidence of an overdose resulting from ingesting any
amount of Lactaid pills (or other lactase products).  There is also no
known evidence that taking 10 pills at a time is twice as effective -- or
any more effective -- as taking five.  There seems to be diminishing
returns after a point for each individual.  Experiment to see what works
best for you.  If you don't want to take as many pills, Lactaid now markets
Lactaid extra strength with 1.5 times as much lactase as in the original
pill, and Lactase Ultra, with three times as much.  (Lactase Ultra are also
one-third the size of the original.  I find them much more convenient to
take along with me.)

>  When I'm eating out I guess I over do it with the pills for fear of an
"attack".  Many times I don't take the Lactaid
pills when eating at home and wind up pretty sick.  I was wondering if this
could cause some kind of damage to the GI system.<

Always remember to take your pills.  Whether failing to do so can cause
damage is an ambiguous question.  Prolonged and continuous diarrhea can
dangerously dehydrate your body.  It can also result in nasty hemorrhoids.
But I don't know of LI actually physically damaging one's intestines.
(Milk allergies can, but that's a different issue.)

>By the way, just a tip:  If a food product has the word "Parve" on its
wrapper, this is an indication that the item has absolutely NO milk
products in it at all.<

Yes, very good point.  (It can also be spelled Pareve.)  Not only is the
food guaranteed to be milk-free, but it is also guaranteed not to be
manufactured by equipment that is at other times used to make products that
have milk in them.  This is about the strongest guarantee you can find on a
commercially processed food.  (Although it is not infallible.  I know of
two medical journal reports of allergic reactions to foods labeled pareve.)

Hope this helps,

Steve Carper
author of Milk Is Not for Every Body: Living with Lactose Intolerance
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper