NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 10:21:19 -0800
On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:07:29 -0500 Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

> I don't undertsand the implications of "Royal icing".

It's powdered sugar, egg whites, and cream of tartar.  It hardens like
plaster!  This is the important part since it becomes the structural
integrity to hold the walls up and the roof on.  Since it dries hard, you
can also use it for cookie ornaments, etc.  A glaze type icing that would
remain soft and tacky wouldn't work as well.

> I don't have any Rich  product in the house to check.

Rich's products are hard for me to come by here.  The coffee rich I've
checked is loaded with corn so I haven't really tracked down anything
else.  I'm not sure how this would tie in anyway.

> I must be missing something. Icing for gingerbread houses I've seen
isn't
> like a whipped icing.

It's not like a whipped cream frosting.  Sorry for the confusion.

Kathy P.