NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 May 2003 19:40:45 +0000
I'm not one to embrace any particular alternative approach. Nor would I like
to make any generalizations about causal relationships, etc. I can just make
anecdotal observations.

When my son's food-allergy-induced eczema was at its worst, so was his
behavior. Sometimes the behavioral aspects would flare before the eczema did,
sometimes the other way around. One thing was and remains clear: when his diet
and environment were cleared of his major and minor allergy triggers, he
became (and has remained) a wonderful guy. And that makes me a bit more
tolerant of his occasional bad days, too.

If dietary restrictions do alter the behavior, and they do so reliably, you
may have happened onto something. If allergy is the underlying mechanism,
don't be surprised if there are other potential triggers (e.g., pollens, dust,
animals, ...). And don't, above all else, resort to cutting more and more out
of your child's diet to find out what else might be triggering relapse. The
symptoms may go away in the worst possible way.

Just make certain that you have competent help and a detached 3rd party to
review nutrition and health, just to ensure your child's well-being.

G'Luck,

Mark