NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 1999 13:05:28 -0500
A small word of caution. When I became a vegetarian several years
ago, I significantly increased my intake of dairy and soy. It was at
this point that I became allergic to both. I suspect that I had the
latent tendency to become allergic, and that the increased
consumption, somehow kicked my immune system into identifying these
proteins as foreign. I am now severely allergic to both and cannot
eat either without either a respiratory reaction or a relapse of
rheumatoid arthritis, which has been in remission since I stopped
eating dairy products.

Needless to say, without dairy or soy, being a healthy vegetarian is
an extremely difficult challenge. I opted for the "healthy" and
dropped the "vegetarian."

> Being Lactose Intolerant, I've greatly appreciated reading this
> mailing list. Since I've recently decided to become a vegetarian (over
> 3 weeks now), I'm wondering if anyone knows of a similar list. Maybe
> even one for those who avoid Meat, Dairy, and Eggs.

Mark Feblowitz