NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. Steiner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 13:22:36 -0800
> My non-eloquent question is this: "What's the deal with reaction time
(for
> lack of a better term) to foods containing Lactose?"

Jeremy,
What I've found is that lactose affects me differently,  depending mostly
on the amount of lactose consumed, and I think that it is also related as
to the actual source of the lactose.  For example, I can eat about 1oz of
hard cheese (cheddar, Swiss) with no problem.  If I try ANY cottage cheese,
I'll run to the WC within the hour (sometimes less), and it will be very
painful. (Of course, you can imagine that cottage cheese is out of my diet
right now. ) The amount of lactose is also dependant on the amount is the
time I am sick afterwards.  Certain quantities of some products will send
me ill for sometimes 24 hrs or longer.  Especially things that have whey in
them.  Now, if the same product happens to have lactose AND sorbitol or
glycerin, forget it;  I'll be very ill for up to 48 hrs.
It also seems like my "gut" reaction is dependant on how inflamed my bowel
is at the time, and the amount of bacteria already present.
I am currently on a Flagyl therapy of one week per month.  I see that I can
handle more of the dairy things the week when I'm on Flagyl and soon
afterwards.  But I'm still talking about minute amounts though,  not ever a
full glass of milk.  :-)
My intestine is short, due to several resections for my Crohn's, so  that
also might affect the timing, since in me for example, the food doesn't
have that long to travel anymore to start giving me trouble in my colon.
(what's left of it)
The classic test for LI has you drinking 8 oz of milk and waiting 1 hour.
I guess that must be the "average" time for it to cause trouble.
Take care and stay well,
Chao,
Monica