GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 21:48:33 +0200
Hi,

I sent this one yesterday but got no confirmation request from the
Listserver. So here I try again.

Ebrima's source wrote:

> By the way, sacked Permanent Secretary Badara Joof was said to be
reluctant
> to go back, if offered or reinstated. Some of us in the Civil Service are
> now ready to take a stance against this brutal regime.
>
> After all, some of us have our professional integrity, or what's left of
it,
> to salvage.

I hope Tombong Saidy takes a minute or two to chew on this one. Jammeh
doesn't know that we Gambians (I don't knowwhere he comes from) don't like
being pushed around.

A close friend of Badara Joof once narrated to me an interesting story: He,
Badara Joof, once wrote a letter in the 'Gambia Outlook' (in the '70s,
whiles a teacher at Nusrat) castigating our roads, both their maintainance
and policing.

He was 'called in for a talk' in deputy IG Mass Jarra's office. According to
the tale, when Mr. Jarra saw Mr. Joof, he blurted out: "When I read that
article I imagined you were a giant, on the whole you are a brat!" To which
Mr. Joof instantly retorted: "There is a saying that a scorpion can make an
elephant cry!"

Badara is after all a very smart guy. He, Bolong Sonko and your source, and
I sure many more in the civil service, as opposed to Tombong Saidy and the
rest of those..., you know what I mean..., have no professional integrity to
salvage because they didn't have any, in the first place. They are the type
Pa D'costa referred to as "yumba". If it says honey and if it says money,
I'll sting and kill my way to it.

One day the likes of you shall work in shame! You still have a chance to get
out and tell the truth. You can read between the lines, for God's sake, what
are you waiting for? Or have you already forgotten the tale about when
"buki and nyombor" went to look for "saedame". Or didn't you learn anything
from that one too; don't tell me you never heard it.

But then a "salesman who can lose his way to the market!" (Hamhatta!) may
not be able to read the writing on the wall, after all. Keep counting, but I
'm just afraid that you are going to be caught with your pants down and I
wouldn't like to see that, not literally, or otherwise. So you too must wake
up and live up, down pressure man, you still have somewhere to run to!

Regards,

Kabir.

PS: Hamjatta, I would like to respond to you piece: "When Will Africans
Learn To Stand Up On Their Feet?". It is a very interesting topic but
unfortunately, I could not join the debate since we were organising a
meeting for our action here. Both yours and Y-Bala Gaye's input said much
but I would like to expand on some the points she highlighted. I hope
interest in it doesn't wane.