GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 18:44:24 +0100
Saul

Lets not give this man any credit for making these
pronouncements. The APRC projects agenda are basically
a short term measure. Most of these projects were
introduced without foresight. Take the Arch 22 for
example- what economic gains has Gambia benefited from
it? I await his reply before I positively respond to
him on other issues.

You will be surprised to know the education standard
in the Gambia has deteriorated. A student could easily
become a drop out after finishing his Grade 9 Exams.
Yes I must admit that PPP Government never built any
High Schools, but note that the salaries of the
mission schools be it Muslim or Christian were paid by
the government.

Yes I admit that Gambia has a University now, but the
problem with the institute lies on the fact that
Yammeh would like to use it as his political weapon
against his detractors. At present, the university has
even started preparing students for degrees in
Medicine. What a wrong approach, instead of allowing
this institute to go through a transition, the APRC
have hastiliy approved the University to provide
courses on Medicine. Even the executive committee of
the Gambia Medical Association  have expressed its
reservation to the whole idea. Why rush?

Yes I must admit that Yahya has constructed more roads
but take a look at the highway from Talidingng kujang
to Westfield Clinic. By the way how about the roads
from Brikama to Soma.

Yes I admit that Yahya gave us a Television Station,
How about the programmes broadcasted on air. How many
people can afford to buy a TV  based on its actual
income. Moreover, how come this TV service focuses a
great deal on Yahya Jammeh' trips anmd meetings with
his so call associates.

Sorry I am running out of time, I shall therefore
continue my response tomorrow

Best wishes

Sanusi
--- saul khan <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Mr.
Jobe,