GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:53:42 +0100
Anika

I salute your courage at this difficult moment. Your
present stance in this case reminds of many wives who
rallied for husband's release. You certainly remind me
of the likes of Auntie Saffie- the wife of Pap
Cheyassin Secka during his detention at Mile 2 for a
criminal charge of Treason, Kudirat Abiola- the wife
of the late Chief Moshood Kasimawo Olawale Abiola, and
finally Winnie Mandela-wife of that Great African
Leader- Nelson Mandela. All these women rallied
relentlessly for the release of their husbands, at no
time did they gave up the struggle. On that note I
urge you to remain firm on your up struggle. I remain
of the view that one day justice will prevail and for
sure Dumo will be released from jail.

It is  quite ironic to mention the name of Pap
Cheyassin in this posting, but pardon if it has raised
your emotions. I read your letter addressed to Pap
Cheyassin and could not believe the way he handled the
situation. It appears this man has forgotten the way
his wife struggled during his detention. What a shame?
I never expected this for somebody acclaiming to be an
Educated Ndongo Banjul.
Judging by the information we received from the
newspapers, there seems to be no evidence to justify
Dumo's detention. The likes of Pap Cheyassin and many
other so called lawyers have allowed their fear of
Yahya to prevail over their conscience, what a shame
to our educated elites.For God sake why did they spend
so many days, nights and years mastering the law, if
they cannot reason out that Dumo is being unlawfully
detained by an unlawful government. Whats wrong with
the Executive Committee of The Bar Association? Are
they scared to make a petition to Yahya for the speedy
trial of all political detainees or advocate for their
immediate release?

At present, we have seen Lord Kebba Jobe,the Senior
Civil Servant,the University Graduate from Canterbury
together with many others defending the APRC
programme. Can't they  reason out Dumo's plight at
Mile 2 Prison. For God's sake when will these so
called graduates reason out that APRC cannot be
trusted with another 5 years in office?

I therefore conclude by referring you to the words of
Ghandi who once said "they can beat us, break our
bones, kill us but they can't break our souls"
With this mind, I wish you all the success in your
endeavours

--- momodou olly-mboge <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
<HR>
<P>Annika, </P>
<P>I applaud you in your continuous fight to free Dumo
and others.  Keep up the spirit.  These APRC evil
creatures(and their intellectual renegade
prostitutes)  shall never carry the day.   They
can delay victory for Dumo but they shall never  carry
the day.  The truth shall out their callous, perverted
lies/deeds and justice shall prevail.</P>
<P>I know Dumo will never be broken by such a perverse
bunch of thiefing thugs.  I first encountered Dumo at
Tensta Centrum and he impressed me with his dedication
after a long chat with him.  I also use to enjoy his
company at the then Gambian Club at 36 Karmargatan in
Stockholm.</P>
<P>I for one shall keep making some noise as long
these bunch of APRC morons are still holding our
country in bondage.  We shall never rest until
decency, democracy and justice prevails. </P>
<P>Regards,</P>
<P>Mboge <BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: Annika Renberg <[log in to unmask]>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: The Gambia and related-issues
mailing list <[log in to unmask]>
<DIV></DIV>>To: [log in to unmask]
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Dumo Sarho - 10 months of
detention
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 00:25:55 +0200
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>L-ers,
<DIV></DIV>>Today, the 24th of April, it is 10 months
since Dumo was arrested. He (and his co-accused) are
still detained under harsh conditions in the security
wing at Mile II.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Since in the middle of November they are
allowed to receive visitors - twice a day - even if
only for 10-15 minutes and under strict observation of
course.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>I used the last opportunity to travel with
the tourist flight before the closure of the season
and have just returned to Sweden after two weeks in
The Gambia, i.e Mile II morning and afternoon and some
sessions with the lawyers, Boka Loho and others.
<DIV></DIV>>I estimate that during these two weeks,
Dumo and I were able to talk for about five hours all
together.
<DIV></DIV>>Dumo is still comparatively OK although of
course very fed up with the situation. Reading keeps
him alive but he is not even allowed to have a pen so
no writing is possible. (During the last week a new
rule was also introduced, it is no longer allowed to
hug or kiss even as a greeting.) Otherwise his spirit
is unbroken and he is very convinced that the truth
will one day prevail and that they will be released.
He has no illusions about the time though and is
expecting it to drag for a long time still.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>I was hoping - in vain - that there should
also be a court session during my stay but up to now
not even a date is set for the continuation of the
trial.
<DIV></DIV>>According to my information three judges
have been assigned - Grant, Kabalata & Janneh - but it
seems a lot of cases are delayed since their contracts
(or at least some) needs to be renewed.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>It seems that the government wants the
whole affair to be forgotten and silenced, since I
assume they cannot afford the exposure that will be
unavoidable when the trial reaches the real issue of
the so called treason. Until now every hearing has
dealt with procedures.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Friends, help to keep the public attention
alive on this case! Write, ask questions and make
noice to force the judiciary to continue the legal
process or release them on bail - they have wasted too
much time already!
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Also don't forget Lt Sanneh - another
victim, since Jan 2000. Case finally dismissed in High
Court three months ago, immediately rearrested and now
awaiting Court Marshal when even the DPP refuses to go
further with the case.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>I am convinced that there are many, many
more victims of the same kind, just dumped in Mile II
and other prisons, and forgotten or never known
because their families are afraid of questioning.
Civilian courage is something highly needed in The
Gambia. Let us all try to encourage those who are
afraid to go to the human rights organisations and at
least file a complaint.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Keep the spirit up and thanks to all of
you who are trying from various ends to fight this
injustice.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Annika (Dumo's wife)
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>----------------------------------------------------------------------------
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>To unsubscribe/subscribe or view archives
of postings, go to the Gambia-L
<DIV></DIV>>Web interface at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html
<DIV></DIV>>You may also send subscription requests to
<DIV></DIV>>if you have problems accessing the web
interface and remember to write your full name and
e-mail address.
<DIV></DIV><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of
MSN Explorer at <a