GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2013 14:01:14 -0400
Is the Gambia government relying on secrete laws that permit the use of
"eminent domain" to appropriate any land  for whatever the reason
(including reallocating to private individuals)? Perhaps folks on the
ground should follow Foroyaa's lead to demand the legal basis for this
demolition.  If they can get away with it in Brufut, Mandinary and now
Batokunku where is off-limit? Bakau Wasulun Kunda or Brikama  Suma Kunda?

No wonder some wise calls greed one of three gates of Hell!

Malanding Jaiteh

    THE BATOKUNKU DELMOLITION EXERCISE -- MANY UNANSWERED QUESTIONS
    <http://www.foroyaa.gm/editorial/14082-the-batokunku-delmolition-exercise-many-unanswered-questions>

Published on Friday, 06 September 2013 17:02 | Written by Ousman Njie
<http://www.foroyaa.gm/component/contact/contact/>
Last week the Department of Physical Planning carried out a demolition
exercise indicating that the land the home owners are occupying do not
belong to them but are 'privately owned' or reserved lands. The home
owners on the other hand showed our reporter documents they say attest
their ownership of the plots. How such confusion can arise is unimaginable.

The home owners show our reporter documents certifying ownership by the
department of physical planning, as well lease documents. How can the
Department of Physical Planning now claim that the land is reserved
land? Or are they claiming that the documents are faked?
The question which many owners of leased land will now be asking
themselves is whether the land they now occupy is theirs or
'private/reserved land' as in the case of Batokunku. Who are the private
owners of the plots that have been demolished? Did any private owners of
plots claim that their plots have been intruded?
If that is the case why not leave these 'dispossessed' owners to claim
for their plots and to take the matter to court if they so desire?
In the case of reserved land why did the Department of Physical Planning
not refuse to endorse ownership at the time of processing the lease
documents? These issues need clarification and if Foroyaa has the
opportunity to talk to the Director of Physical Planning, we hope these
points will be clarified.

The director has indicated that we should write when he was approached,
which we will do and inform our readers accordingly. The home owners
have the right to sue the government in court for recovery of what they
claim is their plots or for compensation. Needless to say, the home
owners say they were given only a very short notice and their pleas for
longer notice to allow them to adjust to a new reality fell on deaf ears.

Why the rush? What did they hope to gain? Some of the home owners we
spoke to say they spent millions of dalasi to build their houses and
those millions now seem to have gone to the drain.
Reports have it that one of the home owners became so depressed that he
was contemplating his life, and was subsequently held in 'protective
custody' by the police. Could the Department of Physical Planning not
have considered another approach?

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい