GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Husainou A Waggeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2014 22:23:47 -0400
Scottish Referendum result
Last updated 6 hours ago

Key points

- Each of Scotland's 32 local authorities are declaring their results

- The first council to declare is Clackmannanshire - 46.2 (Yes); 53.8 (No)

- The bulk of results are expected between 03:00 and 05:00

- The final outcome is expected to be known around breakfast time

- Voters answered the question: "Should Scotland be an independent country?"

LIVE TEXT
By BBC News staff

03:19 Twitter reaction
Co-convenor of the Scottish Greens Patrick Harvie: Well the result looks disappointing. But losing the energy & motivation of people who've become re-engaged in politics would be even worse.

03:19 It's all there
The pace is quickening now on the local results front - after all we have now entered the frenetic two-hour declaration period.

If you think you might get a little lost as to whether your council has declared yet, go to our local authority pages, where you will see in images, words and video what is going on.

It's busy, busy at the Scottish Borders Council count - picture sent by the BBC's Morag Kinniburgh
03:17 More on English devolution
Lib Dem MP Sir Menzies Campbell tells the BBC: "It's not for the Scots to tell the English what form their devolution should take. That is for the English to decide."

He argues that the "concentration of resources in the south east is simply not sustainable in the long term".

03:16 Fife 'bell-weather'
Dunfermline and West Fife Labour MP Thomas Docherty said he was confident of victory for the "No" campaign in Fife adding that the local authority was an important indicator of the result nationally.

"It is an absolute bell-weather," he said.

"It has industrial areas around Rosyth dockyards for example and Glenrothes, it has former mining communities across west and central Fife. It also has quite strong middle class areas in west Fife, Kirkcaldy and north east Fife and right across the board we have got pretty good results.

"We don't have the final figures and we may be three hours away from that, but it does look like a good night for the 'No' campaign here in Fife."

03:15 Aberdeenshire count
Steven Duff - BBC Scotland reporter
Big round of applause in the AECC as counting officer Colin McKenzie announces that big Aberdeenshire turnout figure of 87.2%.

Actual counting now under way. Latest estimate on declaration 05:00.

03:14 Pound high
Following these early results, the pound has hit a two-year high against the euro.

03:14 Dundee evacuation update
Andrew Anderson - BBC Scotland News
Dundee fire alarm over. Staff returning - again.

03:11 tweet @bbcscotlandnews
Douglas Symon tweets: That result pretty much signifies it'll be no. #indyref

03:11 Aberdeenshire turnout
Simon Cousins, BBC Scotland News
Aberdeenshire turnout is 87.2%.

03:10 Dundee evacuation
Andrew Anderson - BBC Scotland News
Counting staff evacuated from count for a second time due to another fire alarm...

'Subdued'
Kenneth Macdonald - BBC Scotland Special Correspondent
The atmosphere at this #indyref #yes party is now subdued to say the least. They'd expected more from Clacks and W Isles.

03:09 Confirmed turnout figures
Andrew Black - Political reporter, BBC Scotland
A flurry of confirmed turnout figures for you:

East Renfrewshire: 66,021 votes (turnout 90.4%) East Ayrshire: 84,252 votes (turnout 84.5%) Stirling: 62,225 votes (turnout 90.1%) South Ayrshire: 81,715 votes (turnout 86.1%) East Lothian: 71,798 votes (turnout 87.6%) Falkirk: 108,626 votes (turnout 88.7%) Dumfries and Galloway: 106,755 votes (turnout 87.5%) Aberdeen: 143,664 votes (turnout 81.7%) Glasgow: 364,664 votes (turnout 75%) Perth and Kinross: 104,285 votes (turnout 86.9%).

03:08 Suspected fraud
Following reports that officials are investigating 10 cases of suspected electoral fraud at polling places in Glasgow, Police Scotland have said any crime would be "appropriately investigated".

A spokesman added: "Police Scotland takes the safety and security of the independence referendum extremely seriously and is working with partner agencies including local authorities to ensure the integrity of the ballot."

03:08 North Ayrshire count
Ian Hamilton - BBC Scotland
Listening.....

The room is surprisingly quiet considering the importance of this vote.

It's not that everyone has gone home, I think it's just the air of expectation here in North Ayrshire. All I can hear is the sound of ballot papers which to me sounds like birds flapping their wings.

The vote appears to be very tight here and neither are claiming victory yet, we should know more at about 04:00.

03:07 Aberdeen count
Fiona Stalker - BBC Scotland reporter
The latest from Aberdeen is that a declaration could now be before 05:00. The "No" camp say they're "confident".

03:07 Analysis
Brian Taylor - Political editor, Scotland
Labour MSP Kezia Dugdale says it was "clear from the doorsteps" that people wanted more information on the offer of more powers. In short, that means the late restatement of the offer was driven by concern that ground was being lost.

03:06 Dundee count
Andrew Anderson - BBC Scotland News
Dundee count evacuated for a second time due to fire alarm.

03:03 COMHAIRLE NAN EILEAN SIAR (WESTERN ISLES) RESULT
"No" wins by 10,544 to 9,195. That is 53% for "No" against 47% for "Yes".

Ballot total: 19,758, a turnout 86.2%.

02:57 'Amazing turnouts'
Scottish Education Secretary Mike Russell tweets: Amazing turnouts across Scotland (including a rumoured 100% on Jura) testify to the energising effect of #indyref on all of the country

02:56 'Early stage'
Scotland's Finance Secretary John Swinney is at the count in Perth and Kinross.

He said: "At this stage it looks as if Better Together is ahead, I would accept that, but we need to wait to see all of the work that is going on on the tables to see exactly how the vote is going to separate between the two counts.

"I think we have to be really careful about making judgements based on the three declarations that have taken place.

"The gap between the two positions is about 13,000 votes. These are three relatively small local authority areas. there are much bigger votes to be cast in other parts of the country. It is a very early stage in the night."

02:54 Highland count
Craig Anderson - BBC Scotland
Final ballot boxes for Highland expected imminently. Turnout figures due around 04.00. So far Better Together campaigners are happier with the count. Some glum faces among the "Yes" campaign.

02:53 Fife count
Simon Dedman, BBC Scotland News
Labour MP Thomas Docherty tells the BBC he is confident "No" has won in Fife.

02:51 Moray count
The Moray vote count started after 02:00 - two hours later than expected. Click here for more updates on Moray.

02:50 'Two year campaign'
Musician and independence campaigner Ricky Ross agrees it is too early to predict a final result.

"This has been a two year campaign. Let's not concertina the end!" he jokes.

02:49 Murphy 'delighted'
Labour MP Jim Murphy tells the BBC he is "delighted with the turnout" and the involvement of 16 and 17-year-olds in the vote. He says the "it's too early to say" what the final result will be.

02:48 First three results
Brian Taylor - Political editor, Scotland
The first three results are a hat-trick for the Better Together side but they are three of the smallest council areas in Scotland.

In terms of Shetland, they weren't notably keen on devolution in the first place, so it is no great surprise that they are not exactly giving a resounding endorsement to the concept of independence.

Of the three results, of course, the Clackmannanshire result is far and away the most significant in that it was an area that perhaps should have been doing rather better for the "Yes" side.

Andrew Black - Political reporter, BBC Scotland
One of those attending the Edinburgh count tonight is Benny Wenda, leader of the West Papua independence movement, who's currently living in exile in Oxford.

He says he's here to send a message to the Indonesian government that it is possible to have a constitutional debate in a peaceful and democratic manner, as Scotland has done, rather than through violence. Benny's getting on TV a fair bit this evening, thanks in part to his extremely fetching headgear.

02:44 SHETLAND RESULT
"No" wins by 9,951 votes to 5,669. That is a vote share of 64% for "No" and 36% for "Yes". The turnout was 15,620.

02:43 Falkirk count
Fiona Walker - BBC Scotland
"No" now confident of comfortable Falkirk win. "Yes" still think they could be in with a chance. Too close to call they say.

02:42 Glasgow turnout
SNP MSP John Mason tweets: 75% turnout in Glasgow. Twice turnout of 37% when I was elected in 2011. Congratulations to the electorate whatever the result.

02:40 Edinburgh forecast
Laura Maxwell, BBC Radio Scotland
A senior figure in the Better Together campaign tells me Edinburgh is about 60%-40% for "No".

02:38 Fife count
Lisa Summers - BBC Scotland
What they are saying here is that it is too early to say with any certainty.

On behalf of the "No" campaign, Thomas Docherty, the MP for Dunfermline, says he is fairly confident everything is going in their favour and it looks as if Fife will vote "No" this evening.

That is based on sample counts from areas like Kirkcaldy and Glenrothes that they thought would go in favour of "Yes" but are showing growing evidence of a "No" vote.

02:38 'Politically aware'
East Renfrewshire Labour MSP Ken McIntosh said of the area's 90.4% turnout: "East Ren has got a very good record of high results. I think we had the highest turnout at the EU election, the highest turnout at the last UK general election.

"We have got a very politically aware constituency and I think people are very concerned about their children's future and they have exercised that democratic right at the ballot box."

02:36 Western Isles turnout
Catriona MacLean, BBC Scotland
Western Isles turnout was 19,758 votes, which was 86.2%.

02:33 Social media
Nearly 83,000 tweets about the referendum were sent between 01:00 and 02:00 - down 16% on the previous hour.

Many of the top tweets are about the Clackmannanshire "No" vote result. The most shared - retweeted over 2,000 times - came from @BBCBreaking.

The most influential account in the last hour has been Scottish actress Karen Gillan, who tweeted: "Thanks everyone! I am now watching the results! Good luck Scotland xxx"

Join the conversation via #indyref, tweet @BBCPolitics or @bbcscotlandnews, or go to the BBC News Facebook page.

02:33 West Dunbartonshire count
A "No" team photo shows the mood in the Playdrome. See here for more updates on West Dunbartonshire.

02:26 Stirling count
Reevel Alderson - Home affairs correspondent, BBC Scotland
Johanna Boyd, Labour leader of Stirling Council has predicted a victory for "No" in the area - greater than the 54% recorded in neighbouring Clackmannanshire.

She said recent reports of a narrowing of the polls had had the effect of persuading undecided voters to turn out.

Stirling recorded one of the highest proportions of electors casting their ballot: 90.1%.

02:25 Edinburgh count
Laura Bicker - BBC Referendum Correspondent
This is quite a hefty count to go through so it could be 05:00 before we get the result. There are a few worried faces within the "Yes" camp.

I have spoken to a few people here who believe it could be as much as 60% for "No" and 40% for "Yes".

02:21 @jimmurphymp
Labour's Jim Murphy tweets: Looks like a very big win for No in our local authority of East Renfrewshire on over 90% turnout.

02:21 Argyll & Bute helicopters
Ballot boxes for the count at Lochgilphead arrived on two helicopters. The first one arrived from Iona, Tiree, Coll and Mull. The second carried ballots from Jura, Gigha, Islay and Colonsay. See here for more updates on Argyll & Bute.

02:20 Close in Inverclyde
Sally McNair - Reporter, BBC Scotland
The turnout is 87%, which is quite phenomenal for this area. The vote is neck and neck and could come to the last vote here.

The "Yes" campaign were more confident earlier in the evening but they are perhaps less ebullient now. They have been fighting for every vote and it appears to be very close here.

02:15 Perth & Kinross count
There are a handful of policemen at the Perth and Kinross count in Perth to assist with the smooth running of the referendum count. See here for more updates on Perth & Kinross.

02:13 Convincing win
Andrew Black - Political reporter, BBC Scotland
A very convincing win for "No" in Orkney - no surprise there, as it's solid Liberal Democrat country. There were two spoiled ballot papers.

02:11 North Ayrshire turnout
Turnout was 84.4% in North Ayrshire.

02:11 100-year-old voter
Laura Maxwell, BBC Scotland
Edinburgh's chief counting officer Sue Bruce says one woman who voted in person today was celebrating her 100th birthday. Ms Bruce described it as "a wonderful demonstration of the voter's commitment to democracy".

02:10 'Remarkable' turnout
Andrew Black - Political reporter, BBC Scotland
The high voter turnout is becoming one of the stories of the evening so far at the Ingliston central count.

Lib Dem peer Lord Wallace says the 83% turnout in his former Orkney constituency is "remarkable", given turnout at elections there never really got above about 67%.

02:09 Scottish Borders turnout
Morag Kinniburgh, BBC Scotland News
Scottish Borders turnout is 87.4%.

02:08 Orkney analysis
John Curtice - Professor of politics at Strathclyde University
This is probably one of the toughest council areas for the "Yes" side thus we should not be surprised if the council reports a very substantial "No" lead here.

This is exactly what has transpired with "Yes" winning less than a third of the vote. We should probably avoid reading too much into this given the count of the area.

02:07 Falkirk count
Fiona Walker - BBC Scotland
Both sides say it's neck and neck in Falkirk. Both still smiling...

02:07 Dumfries turnout
Turnout in Dumfries and Galloway was 87.5%.

02:04 'Utter cynicism'
Conservative peer and former Scotland Secretary Lord Forsyth tells the BBC: "The political class really ought to take a lesson from this referendum campaign because the one thing that came over on the doorsteps was utter cynicism about the political class."

02:04 ORKNEY RESULT
"No" wins by 10,004 to 4,883, or 67% to 33%.

There was a turnout of 83.7%

02:02 East Dunbartonshire
John Curtice - Professor of politics at Strathclyde University
Another middle class area that commonly has a relatively high turnout has again repeated past patterns by emerging with no less than a 91% turnout. This is the highest turnout so far.

02:01 Eilean Siar count
Catriona Maclennan - BBC Scotland
Counting of the ballot papers from the Southern Isles now in full swing. Updated estimated time of declaration for the Western Isles is now 02:30. See here for more updates on Comhairle nan Eilean Siar.

02:01 Turnout analysis
John Curtice - Professor of politics at Strathclyde University
So far the differences between councils in their level of turnout is very similar to that which was evident in the May European elections.

Thus, although the turnout is typically more than 50 points up on the turnout in May, it looks as though the places with a relatively high turnout in this referendum are going to be the same kinds of places that usually have a relatively high turnout.

This casts doubt on claims that the "Yes" side has been successful in mobilising voters who do not normally come to the polls.

02:00 It's big
Turnout for this trip to the ballot box has been huge - from Glasgow at 75% to East Dunbartonshire at 91%, and East Renfrewshire and Stirling at more than 90%.

This most certainly defies the trend of recent years. Study the figures in this picture.

01:59 Perth and Kinross turnout
Suzanne Allan, BBC Scotland News
The turnout for Perth and Kinross is 86.9% - 104,285 votes cast.

01:57 Falkirk turnout
Falkirk turnout is 88.7%.

01:57 More turnout figures
Andrew Black - Political reporter, BBC Scotland
More turnout figures for you. West Lothian: 119,115 votes (86.2% turnout) Midlothian: 60,396 votes (86.8% turnout) Shetland: 15,635 votes (84.4% turnout) and Angus: 80,300 votes (85.7% turnout).

01:56 City turnout lower
John Curtice - Professor of politics at Strathclyde University
Aberdeen has reported a turnout of 82%. This is the third Scottish city to report a lower turnout than much of more rural and suburban Scotland.

01:56 East Dunbartonshire turnout
Sharyn Fleming
The East Dunbartonshire turnout figure has been confirmed at 91%, with 79,011 votes cast.

01:56 Alex Salmond clarification
BBC Political Editor Nick Robinson: Aides to @AlexSalmond insist that he has not cancelled appearance at his count. They say he was not going in the first place

01:55 South Lanarkshire turnout
Catriona Renton, BBC Scotland News
South Lanarkshire turnout is 85.3%, with 22,2937 votes cast.

01:55 Shetland turnout
Daniel Lawson, BBC Scotland News
Shetland turnout is confirmed as 84.4%, with 15,635 votes cast.

01:54 Glasgow's lower turnout
John Curtice - Professor of politics at Strathclyde University
At 75% the turnout in Glasgow is markedly lower than elsewhere and appears to be fitting in a pattern whereby the turnout in Scotland's cities is lower than the rest of Scotland. Given the "Yes" side's hopes of doing well in the city this will come as a disappointment to them.

01:53 Glasgow turnout
Gillian Sharpe, BBC Scotland News
The Glasgow turnout is 75%.

01:53 West Lothian No?
Alexandra MacKenzie - BBC News
We are hearing early and unofficial talk from the "Yes" camp that they have lost the count in West Lothian. They are telling us it is 45% for Yes.

01:51 Get involved
There have been nearly 94,000 tweets about the referendum sent between midnight and 01:00, down 18% on the previous hour.

Many of the top tweets were about allegations of electoral fraud in Glasgow and some were about the electoral turnout in places such as Orkney.

The most shared tweet came from Sky News over the alleged electoral fraud which was retweeted 1,246 times.

The most influential account in the last hour was that of Scottish entrepreneur Michelle Mone who tweeted asking who was staying up all night.

You can join the conversation via the #indyref hashtag, tweet @BBCPolitics or go to the BBC News Facebook pageg

01:50 South Ayrshire turnout
Alasdair Lamont, BBC Scotland News
South Ayrshire turnout is 86.1%, with 81,716 votes cast.

01:49 South Lanarkshire count
Catriona Renton - BBC Scotland
TV turned off in foyer after noisy reaction to Clackmannanshire declaration.

01:47 Stirling turnout
Stirling turnout is 90.1%.

01:47 Angus turnout
David Currie - Reporting Scotland presenter
Angus turnout is 85.7% and the total number of votes cast is 80,300.

01:46 East Renfrewshire turnout
Jane Lewis, BBC Scotland News
The turnout at East Renfrewshire is 90.4% - total votes to be counted are 66,021.

01:46 Record turnout 'probable'
John Curtice - Professor of politics at Strathclyde University
Angus has reported a turnout of 86% in what, of course, is one of the SNP's strongest areas.

On the basis of the results in so far, there is now a very high probability that the turnout will be higher than the record highest turnout in Scotland of 81% in the 1951 election.

01:44 West Lothian prediction
Alison Macdonald - BBC Scotland
The SNP council group leader in West Lothian is predicting a "Yes" loss to "No". Peter Johnson says they think "No" will get 53% and "Yes" 47%.

01:43
Douglas Fraser - Business and economy editor, Scotland
So it's a special congratulations to the 7 people in Clackmannanshire who voted both 'yes' and 'no'.

01:42 South Ayrshire turnout
81,716 votes have been cast in South Ayrshire, representing 86.1% of the electorate.

01:41 Dundee count back on
Andrew Anderson - BBC Scotland News
Counting staff now re-entering building after the count suspended due to a fire alarm. Building evacuated for 10 minutes.

01:40 Clackmannanshire win
Jamie McIvor - BBC Scotland correspondent
Better Together celebrates winning Clackmannanshire.

01:40 Midlothian turnout
Carol Purcell, BBC Scotland News
Midlothian turnout is 86.8%, with 60,396 ballot papers.

01:39 Analysis
Brian Taylor - Political editor, Scotland
Gordon Wilson, the former SNP leader, says it is beginning to look as if No might win the day. Not, he stresses, that he is conceding. Based upon the opening result from Clackmannanshire which, he said, was a disappointing outcome. The result there, of course, 54% to No, 46% for Yes.

01:38 More turnout news
Midlothian has reported yet another very large turnout, with more than 87% of the electorate having cast a ballot.

The Angus turnout is 85.7% and East Ayrshire is 84.5%.

01:36 Ballots found
Aileen Clarke - BBC Scotland
All ten ballot papers at centre of police electoral fraud investigation in Glasgow have been found and will be passed to Police Scotland

01:34 Caution from Curtice
John Curtice - Professor of politics at Strathclyde University
Clackmannanshire is a relatively small part of Scotland and we should not place too much weight on the result.

01:34 Wee county news
Former Scottish First Minister Jack McConnell said he felt earlier in the week that Clackmannanshire would be good news for Better Together.

01:33 Curran 'pleased'
Labour MP and shadow Scotland secretary Margaret Curran says she is pleased with the "No" vote in Clackmannanshire.

It is "perhaps indicative" of a better night than she expected, she adds cautiously.

01:33 Clackmannanshire result
Brian Taylor - Political editor, Scotland
I would say this a disappointment for the "Yes" side. Not that they would have expected to sweep to victory but they would have expected to do better than that.

01:31 54-46 for 'No'
The Clackmannanshire result means "No" wins by 54% to 46%.

01:31 Dundee evacuation update
Andrew Anderson - BBC Scotland News
Dundee counting staff outside count. Building evacuated due to fire alarm.

01:30 CLACKMANNANSHIRE RESULT
"No" wins by 19,036 to 16,350. The total number of ballots was 35,410, a turnout of 88.6%.

01:29 'Influence will vanish'
Brian Taylor - Political editor, Scotland
Gordon Wilson, the former leader of the SNP, says that in the event of a "No" vote Scotland's influence will vanish into the sand.

Mr Wilson voiced substantial scepticism as to whether the response of the UK establishment in such an eventuality would be radical.

If it is indeed a "No" vote, the focus - or one focus - would be upon that offer of more powers. I stress, if...

01:28 Dundee turnout
Dundee turnout is 79%, with 93,558 votes cast.

01:27 Dumfries & Galloway count
Willie Johnston - BBC Scotland
Better Together confident of "No" vote in Dumfries and Galloway. Some activists saying it could be two to one in their favour.

01:27 Dundee evacuation
The Dundee count is being evacuated because of a fire alarm.

01:27 'Positive vibes'
Andrew Black - Political reporter, BBC Scotland
The chairman of the official campaign for independence, Dennis Canavan, seems in good spirits at the Ingliston national count centre, saying he's "hopeful" of a good "Yes" result.

The former Labour MP, who's been trying to convince disenfranchised Labour members to back independence, was in his old Falkirk stomping ground today, where he says he picked up "very positive vibes".

01:26 Northern Isles
John Curtice - Professor of politics at Strathclyde University
The turn out in Shetland is, like Orkney, somewhat lower than elsewhere and standing at 84%. Shetland is also an area where the "No" side is expected to do relatively well.

01:25 Stirling count
Reevel Alderson - Home affairs correspondent, BBC Scotland
I have to tell you among the "Yes" campaign there are some fairly glum faces awaiting the result that we expect about 03:00.

01:24 Dundee turnout disappointment
Yes campaigner and former SNP deputy leader Jim Sillars admits he is disappointed by the relatively low turnout figure in Dundee, which is predicted to be a Yes stronghold. He says it causes a "degree of worry" for the Yes campaign.

01:23 High flyers
Argyll and Bute Council ballot papers were taken by helicopter to to be counted in Lochgilphead.

01:23 Clackmannanshire count
Jamie McIvor - BBC Scotland correspondent
Clackmannanshire result due in five minutes. Magic number for the winning side will be 17,705.

Better Together campaigners in Alloa looking relaxed.

01:22
Alan Roden of the Scottish Daily Mail tweets: #indyref intelligence: No slightly behind in W. Dunbartonshire and Inverclyde, neck-and-neck in N. Lanarkshire, well ahead in S. Lanarkshire

01:21 Orkney vote
Dave Grey in Orkney is now saying the result will be declared before 02:00.

He said: "The Better Together campaigners are looking happier. The seat has been Liberal or Liberal Democrat for as long as I have been alive so for the Yes campaign to take Orkney would be a bit of a coup."

01:20 Perth & Kinross count
Suzanne Allan - BBC Scotland
Perth and Kinross Council have had 600 commemorative pin badges made to hand out to staff in thanks for working on the referendum.

01:20 West Lothian turnout
Alison MacDonald, BBC Scotland News
Official turnout for West Lothian is 86.2%.

01:19 First to declare
Clackmannanshire and Orkney are both expected to declare within the next 15 minutes. Who will be first?

01:18 Glasgow hotel
Eleanor Bradford - BBC Scotland Health Correspondent
I'm with the Better Together campaign at the Marriott Hotel in Glasgow - they are looking increasingly confident.

01:16 More turnout figures
Andrew Black - Political reporter, BBC Scotland
Some more turnout figures for you: Renfrewshire saw 117,612 votes with an 87.3% turnout. Inverclyde: 54,601 votes with an 87.4% turnout, West Dunbartonshire: 62,532 votes, with turnout at 87.9% and Dundee: 93,592 votes with turnout at 78.8%.

01:12 West Dunbartonshire turnout
Update. West Dunbatonshire total votes 62,532 - turnout 87.9%.

01:12 Falkirk turnout
Falkirk turnout is to be announced "very shortly, as we speak" says counting officer Rose Mary Glackin.

01:12 Hosie on Dundee turnout
SNP MP Stewart Hosie in Dundee said: "Given what we have seen in parts of Scotland today, with turnouts of 85% and 90%, a 78% turnout here seems disappointing. In any other election, in any other referendum, a 78% turnout would be an extraordinary feat."

Asked whether he was still hopeful that "Yes" would win the referendum, Mr Hosie said there was, for now, an "information vacuum".

"Votes have not yet been counted, not a single result has been declared," he added.

01:07 Angus count
David Currie - Reporting Scotland presenter
Soundings from both camps suggest it could be quite close in Angus. We expect to discover the turnout figure at 01:30.

01:06 Coffee break
As the count enters the wee small hours, counting agents grab some coffee to keep their energy levels up.

01:06 Glasgow fraud search
Colin Edgar, head of communication at Glasgow City Council, says the search for ballot papers which are the subject of an investigation of electoral fraud "will not delay the count".

01:05 Looking disappointed
Sarah Smith, BBC Scotland News presenter
Early reports suggest Glasgow may have voted 54% "Yes" to 46% "No". However, "Yes" campaigners look a bit disappointed as they hoped the result would be more in their favour.

01:05 No in East Lothian?
"No" campaigners in Eat Lothian say they are certain they have secured at least 62% of the vote, based on a sample of 12,000 votes cast.

01:04 Canavan optimistic
Chairman of Yes Scotland Dennis Canavan tells the BBC he is optimistic that the campaign "can still win a famous victory".

01:03 Fraud allegation update
Aileen Clarke - BBC Scotland
These allegations, as I understand it, relate to 10 votes.

The technical term for the allegation is "personation".

This is where somebody claiming to be Joe Bloggs turns up at a polling station and votes. Then maybe several hours later when the real Joe Bloggs finishes work and turns up to vote there is a problem. 'I'm sorry sir you have already voted'.

The allegation is that that has happened on 10 separate occasions at polling stations across Glasgow.

They will now try to trace the number of those ballots when it comes to the count.

We have noticed one of them being put aside in an envelope. That will form part of the police investigation as we understand it.

The number of people registered to vote in Glasgow is 486,219.

01:00 Western Isles update
Catriona Maclennan, BBC Scotland
The plane with the ballot papers from the Southern Isles (Uist and Barra) left Benbecula at 00:22 and is expected to land in Stornoway at approx 01:00.

There had been uncertainty over how the papers would get here due to low lying fog all over the islands.

Plan B was to transport the papers by boat from Uist to Harris, and then to Lewis by road, which would have meant a 05:00-06:00 declaration. Looking at a 03:00 declaration, approximately.

00:58 Last Shetland boxes
The islands of Unst and Yell are the last boxes to arrive in Shetland.

00:57 'Broken political system'
Scottish Green party MSP Patrick Harvie, a supporter of the "Yes" campaign, tells the BBC that the UK has "a broken political system that has been propping up a broken economic system". The anger at this has been "channelled into something positive" in Scotland, he claims.

00:56 Andy Murray surprise
Kheredine Idessane - BBC Scotland
I was astonished that Andy Murray tweeted his support for independence in the early hours of Thursday.

Partly because he had kept his own counsel for so long and partly because it came pretty much on polling day.

I spoke to him about this very issue in New York a few weeks ago and he said he would play for an independent Scotland at the Olympics but he hadn't given it too much thought because he wasn't expecting it to happen.

So when he said what he said yesterday it was game, set and match for the astonishment factor for me.

00:55 Inverclyde count
Sally McNair - Reporter, BBC Scotland
The count at Inverclyde, in the Waterfront ice rink overlooking the Firth of Clyde, is well under way. All 75 boxes from 38 polling stations were brought here within an hour of the polls closing.

With just under 62,500 registered voters here, this is the fifth smallest council area in Scotland and should be one of the first to declare.

Polling has been high, with queues at some of the polling stations before they opened at 07:00.

00:55 Dundee City turnout
Andrew Anderson - BBC Scotland News
Dundee City reports a turnout of 78.8%.

00:55 Analysis
Brian Taylor - Political editor, Scotland
Intriguing comments from polling organisation leaders on the potential outcome. They suggest that 'Yes' made significant ground, only for there to be a move back in a 'No' direction right at the very close.

All note the difficulty in assessing a referendum by contrast with elections - where there is a history of comparable voting behaviour. All agree the need to reassess polling methods.

As I say, intriguing - but of decidedly minor moment by comparison with the decision being taken by Scotland tonight.

Two years of campaigning. Two seconds to mark a cross on a small piece of paper.

00:53 Hidden 'thumbs up'
Eleanor Bradford - BBC Scotland Health Correspondent
Campaigners gathered at the Better Together campaign at the Marriott Hotel in Glasgow say voters were reluctant to say openly if they voted "No" but instead gave "No" volunteers a surreptitious wink!

They replied with a "thumbs up" under their jackets.

00:52 'Victory for the people'
Andrew Black - Political reporter, BBC Scotland
Lord Wallace, Advocate General for Scotland in the UK government, and Scottish Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill are playing their cards close to the chest at the Ingliston central count.

Mr MacAskill says he's "contemplating a 'Yes' vote", while Lord Wallace says it would be "rash" to predict an outcome at this stage in the game. Both men, though, agree this referendum has been a victory for the people, whatever the result, given the remarkably high turnouts we've seen so far.

00:53 High turnout
John Curtice - Professor of politics at Strathclyde University
Inverclyde has also recorded a very high turnout with 87% of voters having cast a ballot.

We have now had turnouts from three areas which are thought to be relatively fertile territory for the "Yes" side.

In all three cases the turnout has been 87% to 89%.

In contrast in the one place where "No" are expected to do well, and we have information on the number of papers that have been found in the ballot boxes, the turnout is somewhat lower at 84%.

00:51 East Renfrewshire count
Jane Lewis - BBC Scotland
Still verifying here in East Renfrewshire but "No" supporter Jim Murphy says "we've won it by miles."

The "Yes" camp tell me "it's a mixed bag".

00:50 'Shift to No'
Peter Kellner from pollsters YouGov told BBC Scotland: "We are saying 54% No, 46% Yes.

"We reckon there has been a two-point shift to No just today from either people shifting or from the 'No' people being especially determined to turn out to vote.

"The word out is that Glasgow is very close. Yes needs to win Glasgow comfortably if they are to win overall. If it is tight in Glasgow, 'No' has won Scotland."

00:49 BT analysis
BBC Scotland's political editor Brian Taylor is providing analysis through the night.

00:48 No Alex Salmond
BBC Politics: First Minister Alex Salmond cancels appearance at own #indyref count, @bbcnickrobinson says

00:48 'Different country'
Historian Peter Hennessy tells the BBC in Westminster that the UK "will be a different country" whatever the result of the referendum. "The English question has been rumbling but will soon become a roar," he predicts.

00:47 Electoral fraud allegations update
Aileen Clarke - BBC Scotland
Police investigating allegations of electoral fraud in Glasgow. It relates to 10 votes cast in various polling stations around the city.

00:44 Electoral fraud allegations
Editor of The Herald, Magnus Llewellin: BREAKING: Allegations of electoral fraud in Glasgow. Allegations of double vote impersonation in Glasgow #indyref

00:44 Orkney count
Former Big Brother winner, and Better Together campaigner, Cameron Stout looks on as the Orkney count takes place.

00:43 Queen to make statement
The Queen is to make a written statement on Friday afternoon, regardless of the referendum result.

00:43 Email: [log in to unmask]
Andrew McCallum sent these pictures from Jura of ballot boxes being collected: "The helicopter had arrived from Gigha to collect our votes and was then heading to Islay airport and Colonsay, before flying to Lochgilphead where the votes will be counted."

00:40 Renfrewshire turnout
Megan Paterson, BBC Scotland
Renfrewshire reports 117,612 votes cast, a turnout of 87.3%.

00:39 'No' in Falkirk?
Sarah Smith, BBC Scotland news presenter
Better Together say they think "No" will win "comfortably" in Falkirk, the former Westminster seat of Yes Scotland chairman Dennis Canavan, who used to be a Labour MP.

00:39 Renfrewshire turnout
Renfrewshire turnout figure 87.3%. That is 117,612 votes cast.

00:38 Young voters
Prof Charlie Jeffrey told BBC Scotland the introduction of 16 and 17-year-olds to the electorate had been a great success.

He said: "I think the commitment of new voters has been very high but also the level of seriousness of the debate.

"Some special polling has been done on 16 to 17-year-olds by my colleagues at the University of Edinburgh and they found they were not more likely to vote 'Yes' but actually more likely than any other age group, except for pensioners to vote 'No'."

00:37 Shetland selfie
Shetland MSP Tavish Scott takes a selfie with first-time voters from the island's two high schools.

00:35 Wales settlement
Plaid Cymru leader Leanne Wood says a "Yes" vote would be a "fantastic opportunity for Wales to get the settlement that we deserve here".

If there is a "No" vote, she argues, extra funding for Scotland under the Barnett formula might "cause a problem" for Wales, which gets a lower amount per head under the UK finding arrangement.

00:34 Northern Ireland debate
Mark Devenport - BBC News NI Political Editor
A "Yes" victory could put Northern Ireland's constitutional status in question.

If there is a "No", there will be a debate over what extra powers, if any, should be given to Stormont. That could include devolution of corporation tax to help NI compete with the lower rate of corporation tax in the Republic of Ireland.

00:32 Clackmannanshire count
Jamie McIvor - BBC Scotland correspondent
One prominent local "Yes" activist says the picture here is "not as good as he'd hoped".

00:32 Turnout
Andrew Black - Political reporter, BBC Scotland
First voter turnout numbers of the night: Orkney is 83.7%, with 14,907 votes cast. Clackmannanshire's voter turnout is 88.6%, with 35,411 votes cast.

00:30 Accident update
Craig Anderson - BBC Scotland
Caithness ballot boxes held up by 1.5 hours because of an accident on the A9 at Berriedale Braes blackspot.

The ballot boxes are now expected at the count in Dingwall at about 03:00.

00:28 Postal high
East Dunbartonshire is declaring that 97% of postal votes have been returned.

There has been a 95% turnout for postal votes in Clackmannanshire.

00:27 Stirling count
Reevel Alderson - Home affairs correspondent, BBC Scotland
Sandy Buchanan, 53, said he was glad to witness the count. "It seems like the logical conclusion to what's been a remarkable campaign," he said.

His sister, Elizabeth Buchanan, 49, added: "Normally you just put your cross on the paper and that's it. Watching it makes you really feel part of it."

00:24 East Renfrewshire count
Jane Lewis - BBC Scotland
East Renfrewshire now expecting to finish verifying the votes here at 00:30 now rather than midnight. That's when we'll get turnout figures.

00:24 'Looking like a No'
Martyn Mclaughlin of the Scotsman tweets: Some 90% of postal votes returned in Edinburgh. Word from hacks in Ingleston is it's looking like a No #indyref

00:22 Clackmannanshire count
Jamie McIvor - BBC Scotland correspondent
Some Better Together campaigners say the result in Clackmannanshire may be better for them than they'd hoped. A "Yes" vote had been widely expected here.

00:22 Highland delay
The Highland Council: Highland Counting Officer expects some delay in receiving ballot boxes from north following A9 road closure by RTC.

00:21 Better Together 'confident' in Fife
Simon Dedman - BBC News
Labour MP Thomas Doherty, spokesman for the No Campaign in Fife, has said he is confident that Fife will be a "No", based on the latest YouGov poll.

He said Kirkcaldy would be the key part of the region to watch as "Yes" could do well there, but they would have to be ahead of "No" by some margin to dent Dunfermline, North East and West Fife where he said the "No" vote was solid.

"Yes" could do well in Glenrothes due to the town being representated by SNP MSP Patricia Marwick, he added.

It has been suggested that the count result here could be later than 04:00 and closer to 06:00.

00:18 Dumfries awaits
Scotland's only Conservative MP, David Mundell, is at the count in Dumfries and says the boxes from Stranraer were not expected until 01:00.

He told BBC Scotland: "Everybody recognises that if there is a Yes vote in Dumfries and Galloway then Scotland will be independent so I'm expecting a No vote. The initial signs here are encouraging but we have such a high turnout, so many people who don't normally vote, it is very difficult to make predictions.

"It is a huge turnout. Particularly in some of the rural areas. In one of the boxes 100% of the people who have been available to vote have done so."

00:18 Clackmannanshire turnout
Official figures from Clackmannanshire put the turnout at 89%.

00:16 'Remarkable day'
First Minister Alex Salmond: This has been a remarkable day. Scotland's future truly is in Scotland's hands. #IndyRef

00:16 Orkney turnout
The first official statement of the number of ballot papers found in the ballot boxes has come from Orkney. This shows 84% of voters have cast a ballot.

00:15 Question time
Brian Taylor - Political editor, Scotland
The evidence from throughout Scotland is of a large, indeed a phenomenal, turnout. A series of questions arise from that.

1. Will this benefit one side or the other?

That depends upon differential turnout. Is one side or the other feeling more motivated, more inclined to participate? It had been thought that the more motivated side would be Yes. It had been thought this could be worth 1% or 2% in the final tally.

However, at these huge levels of interest, that may be open to challenge. It seems that the entirety of Scotland is engaged. We shall see.

Read more questions and answers here.

00:15 'Fear and scare'
Former Scottish first minister Henry McLeish said he had been a "reluctant" No voter.

The former Labour MP and MSP said he had been "intensely annoyed" by the No campaign's approach of "fear and scare".

He said: "There is an old Scottish word - thrawn - which essentially means the more you tell people they can't do something, the more they are likely to say 'I might want to do it'."

00:13 Island powers
Alistair Carmichael, who is Lib Dem MP for Orkney and Shetland, calls for more powers for Scotland's islands and alleges "Alex Salmond runs the most centralised government in western Europe right now."

00:11 New powers doubt
SNP MSP Humza Yousaf tells the BBC he does not foresee new powers from Westminster "coming at all".

00:10 Packed halls
Counting is well under way at Alloa Town Hall. Election officials say they have packed in as many staff as the hall will take.

00:09 'Phenomenal' support
Andrew Black - Political reporter, BBC Scotland
Speaking at the Ingliston count, Cat Boyd, of the Radical Independence grassroots campaign, says they had organised buses to get people to polling stations, but found that when she was in Glasgow's Drumchapel area earlier, many people said they'd been out to vote already.

She says there's been "phenomenal" support for independence in communities that the polling companies don't reach.

00:09 'Uncharted waters'
Lib Dem MSP for Shetland, Tavish Scott, told the BBC: "The sheer weight of the vote is at a scale that none of us who have stood at elections over a number of years have ever seen before.

"That's a good sign but we are therefore in uncharted waters."

00:07 "Everyone was buzzing"
Keir Murray - BBC Sport Scotland
Laurens Zhang from Kilmacolm has been fascinated by the whole voting and counting process.

The 16-year-old pupil at St Columba's voted "No" today.

He said: "The atmosphere in the sixth-year common room was amazing. Everyone was buzzing. It's good to see so many young people taking an interest in politics."

00:06 @DMiliband
Former UK Foreign Secretary David Miliband tweets: Wonderful to hear of 80/90 per cent turnouts in #indyref. Scots have taught us all a lesson in democracy.

00:02 Devolution debate
Scottish Secretary Alistair Carmichael tells the BBC: "It is now for the English to have the debate that we've had in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland."

This could mean an English Parliament, city regions or regional assemblies, but it is "not for me to tell them", he adds.

00:00 Poll caution
Scottish Conservative leader Ruth Davidson sounds a note of caution about polls, arguing that opinion pollsters might be the "losers" in the referendum campaign.

"They haven't had a touch or a feel for Scotland," she tells the BBC. "They've tried to weight it to party politics and it just doesn't work."

23:57 'Taking part in history'
Willie Johnston - BBC Scotland
Counting officer Alex Haswell tells 175 counters in Dumfries they're "taking part in history" #indyref

23:55 Brussels reaction
Gavin Hewitt - Europe editor
Flemish nationalists have been on the streets of Brussels putting candles down on the Scottish flag. There is less enthusiasm for independence among EU politicians, however.

23:53 Fashion stakes
Ian Hamilton - BBC Scotland
Black is clearly in fashion at the North Ayrshire count!

23:51 'Quite staggering'
SNP MSP Fiona Hyslop told the BBC the people of Scotland had been on a journey.

She said: "There are people who have voted for the first time, people in their fifties and sixties. The turnout will be something quite staggering.

"In terms of what that means, politics has changed as a result of the referendum."

23:49 Tension in Midlothian
To quote BBC Reporter Sam Poling at Midlothian: "It's a plateau of tension."

23:48 'Pride and humility'
Labour MP Douglas Alexander said the story of the early part of the evening was the "enormous turnout".

"We should all feel both extraordinary pride and a certain humility when it comes to a turnout of this scale because it is literally unprecedented," he said.

"Predictions at this stage need to be taken with a barrel of salt not just a punch of salt."

23:47 Angus count
David Currie - Reporting Scotland presenter
Contrary to what Ruth Davidson said the turnout for Friocheim is not 100 per cent and there were only two ballot boxes #scotlanddecides

23:45 Glasgow count
Glasgow City Council: All 483 ballot boxes from Glasgow polling stations have arrived at The Emirates arena for #indyref

23:45 Lifeboat of ballot boxes
BBC Newsgathering Producer Suzanne Lord: 2 Barra ballot boxes started their journey to Lewis to be counted. Local lifeboat collected them. Officials say turnout 95% approx #indyref

23:44 Labour 'relieved'
Labour MP Diane Abbott, speaking to the BBC in Westminster, says that "Labour MPs will be relieved that it looks like we're going to squeak through" with a narrow "No" victory.

23:43 Midlothian queue
Long queue of cars full of ballot boxes waiting outside the Lasswade Centre at the Midlothian count.

23:42 High postal votes
The BBC's Laura Bicker reports that 90% of the postal votes have been returned in Edinburgh.

Full official turnout figures for the city will not be known for at least two more hours.

23:42 England powers
Conservative MP John Redwood tells the BBC's Andrew Neil at Westminster that, if there is a "No" victory, "every power that goes to Scotland must be matched by the same power coming to England".

23:41 Late undecided
Andrew Black - Political reporter, BBC Scotland
Veteran Lib Dem politician Lord Steel, who's at the Ingliston count looking dapper as usual, tells me a young voter came up to him in the street in Selkirk this morning.

He was on the way the polling station but still had no idea how he was going to vote.

"It was an experience I've never had in my long years in politics," Lord Steel says, adding: "I made a last-minute conversion."

23:41 Highest-ever turnout?
Prof Charlie Jeffery from the University of Edinburgh said if the reports of 90% turnout were correct they would be "record-breaking".

"The highest ever turnout in Scotland was in Dundee East in 1950 - 88.6%," he said. "The highest Scotland-wide turnout was just over 80% at the UK election in 1951.

"I think we are going to be above that Scottish record and we may even see some places which exceed that Dundee East record."

23:39 Inverclyde count
All ballot boxes have now arrived for Inverclyde count, more than one hour after the polls closed.

23:35 Too feart
Andrew Black - Political reporter, BBC Scotland
YouGov president Peter Kellner, who's at the Ingliston national count, tells me his organisation's latest polling data indicates a "small but consistent" shift from "Yes" to "No" and a "slightly higher determination to vote" among "No" people.

He reckons "No" voters are more frightened of independence than "Yes" voters are of the status quo.

Mr Kellner says his instinct is that, if the latest YouGov survey is wrong, the gap may actually be wider in favour of "No".

Some people here at the count are talking about the experience of the 1995 Quebec referendum, which saw an "emotional swing" to "Yes" when the campaign was going full tilt, but swung back when it was time to fill in the ballot paper, resulting in a (very slim) "No" outcome.

23:34 Ballot boxes in the Western Isles
The plane has landed in Benbecula. If the skies stay clear, the boxes should be collected from Uist and Barra and loaded aboard by midnight - ballots should arrive in Stornoway by 00.30.

If the fog closes in again, Plan B is to take them across the Sound of Harris by fishing boat.

If the plane can fly, the count will be done by 02:30. If not, the count would be done by 05:00 or 06:00.

23:31 Votes at 16
Jim Murphy also said the referendum had shown that votes for 16 and 17-year-olds had taught an important lesson about how engaged young people were. He said he backed votes at 16 across the UK in time for the next general election in May 2015.

23:30 Stirling count
Reevel Alderson - Home affairs correspondent, BBC Scotland
There are about 30 members of the public in the balcony of the Albert Halls where the Stirling count is taking place. I first covered an election nearly 40 years ago - October, 1974 - and I've never seen spectators at a count before.

A total of 122 ballot boxes from as far away as Killin and Tyndrum have now all arrived to be counted.

Murphy: 'Very big No'
Labour MP Jim Murphy calls the events of today "remarkable" and predicts a "very, very big" No vote in his constituency of East Renfrewshire.

23:23 Perth and Kinross count
Suzanne Allan, BBC Scotland
One Yes Campaigner said in one part of Perth he counted turnout at 82% - it's usually 35%. He had tears in his eyes.

23:22 Postal turnout
John Curtice - Professor of politics at Strathclyde University
Some early postal turnouts confirm the expectation that overall turnout in this referendum would be extraordinarily high.

As of this morning, 95% of the postal votes in East Lothian had been returned and 93% in South Ayrshire.

23:21 YouGov poll
John Curtice - Professor of politics at Strathclyde University
YouGov's on the day prediction poll is based on the responses from 1,828 people who voted today, together with 800 who had already voted by post and were interviewed previously.

The ones who were contacted today consist of respondents to one of YouGov's polls conducted earlier this week, and the company claims there has been a small shift from "Yes" to "No" among this group.

Election aficionados caution that postal voters comprise a rather high 30% of this sample.

23:21 Orkney count
The first ballot box arrives at the Orkney count.

23:18 Falkirk count
Fiona Walker, BBC Scotland
That's all the ballot boxes arrived at Grangemouth. 168 of them.

23:18 'Politics of people'
SNP MSP Fiona Hyslop tells the BBC: "The debate that some didn't want to have has energised a nation."

The referendum is not about "the politics of party, it's the politics of people", she claims.

23:17 First timers
Richard Smith
First time voters, 17-year-olds Rachel Falconer and Sean Davidson, are watching the Perth and Kinross count at Bell's Sports Centre in Perth.

The pair are the deputy head girl and deputy head boy at Perth High School. They said the referendum had stimulated much debate among their fellow pupils.

23:17 Great speed
An hour after polling closed, all 75 boxes from 38 polling places had arrived at the Inverclyde count. All ballot boxes were received at the East Lothian count by 11pm.

23:15 Counting on Mary
Chief counting officer Mary Pitcaithly said counting was taking place at 32 centres around Scotland, including Ingliston where she is based.

She said: "The counting officers in all those 32 areas then give me information about the number of votes they are counting. They are authorised to release that and that's how you work out what the turnout is.

"After that they split the votes into 'Yes', 'No' and 'doubtful's. At the end of that, if it all adds up, we have a result from that area."

23:13 'Historic judgement'
Labour MP Douglas Alexander tells the BBC: "We can only welcome the fact that we have come out in our millions to cast our vote".

He adds that the referendum will be a "historic judgement".

BBC © 2014

Sent from my iPad