GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:41:08 +0100
From: "Andy" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 7:46 PM
Subject: [unioNews] Photo Exhibit of Martin Luther King's Last Year is Shown
in Venezuela, Los Angeles;

> Photo Exhibit of Martin Luther King's Last Year is Shown in Venezuela, Los
Angeles;

> Included in Magazine Reaching 5 Million(m) U.S. School Children
>
> BOCA RATON, Fla., Jan 12 /PRNewswire/ -- Countdown to Eternity an
exhibition by internationally acclaimed photographer Benedict J. Fernandez,
provides a rare and intimate view of the famed civil rights leader, Martin
Luther King.

> The exhibit of 78 black and white photographs depicts Dr. King during the
proud, contemplative, triumphant and final moments of his life.  It is on
exhibit at the Biblioteca Nacional, Caracas, Veneuzuela and in the United
States at the Forest Lawn Memorial Parks' Hall of Liberty Museum in Los
Angeles, California through February 29, 2004.  Countdown to Eternity is
circulated by ArtVision Exhibitions, LLC, www.artvisionexhibitions.com.

> This year Venezuela commemorates its 150th anniversary of the abolishment
of slavery.  "Dr. King's message, his fight and struggle for civil rights is
similar to the social process that Venezuela is undergoing right now," said
Bernardo Alvarez Herrera, Venezuelan Ambassador to the United States.  "This
famous series of photographs, made possible by the generous support of CITGO
Petroleum Corporation, will inaugurate our upcoming events throughout the
year honoring Dr. King, promoting his legacy and spreading his message in
Venezuela."

> Luis Marin, President and CEO of CITGO Petroleum Corporation, pointed out
that this unique exhibition now available in Venezuela will help to
strengthen the understanding between the peoples of Venezuela and the United
States. "As an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of Petroleos de Venezuela,
S.A. in the United States, CITGO is proud to bring this exhibition to the
Venezuelan people.  Not only does it honor the beliefs and life's work of
Dr. King, but it also, highlights the common values of our peoples," he
said.

> In the United States, Countdown to Eternity will reach the classrooms of
approx. 5 million elementary, middle and junior high school children through
photo essays in the January 2004 issues of Scholastic Scope magazine, Junior
Scholastic magazine and on Scholastic News Online at www.scholastic.com/mlk.
"We were thrilled to be able to showcase Mr. Fernandez's gripping
photographs along with his first-person account of Dr. Martin Luther King's
life and work," said Scholastic Scope Executive Editor Diane Webber. "This
is the kind of story that makes history come alive for students."

> This exhibit has received laudatory reviews and bookings are being taken
for the balance of the year.  "ArtVision Exhibitions is proud to give voice
again to Dr. King's message through the exhibition Countdown to Eternity,"
explained Vickie A. Rehberg, president.

> Locations for Mr. Fernandez's upcoming lecture presentations include the
J. F. Kennedy Library, Boston, Mass. and Forest Lawn Memorial Park's Hall of
Liberty Museum in Los Angeles, Calif.  For additional information on
Fernandez's lectures or to obtain a limited edition lithograph from
Countdown to Eternity, contact ArtVision Exhibitions at 800-983-2145.

>    CONTACT: Vickie A. Rehberg, 561-883-2145, email: [log in to unmask]
>             Note to editors:  Rehberg available for interview.
Photographs
>             available.
>

> Source: ArtVision Exhibitions
>
> CONTACT:   Vickie A. Rehberg of ArtVision Exhibitions, +1-561-883-2145,
>
> Web site:  http://www.artvisionexhibitions.com/
>
> NOTE TO EDITORS:  Rehberg available for interview.  Photographs available
> lllll
> QUOTATION:
>
> "All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishments of an African
empire, so strong and powerful as to compel the respect of mankind, but we
in our lifetime can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility
within another generation"
> -<html><A HREF="http://members.aol.com/GhanaUnion/afrohero.html">Ancestor
Marcus Mosiah Garvey <i>(1887 - 1940)</i></A></html>