GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:40:12 +0100
From: "Andy" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2004 7:51 PM
Subject: [unioNews] The 6th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Nonviolence
Youth Program at The Abyssinian Baptist Church Addresses the Post Traumatic
Slave Syndrome

> The 6th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Nonviolence Youth Program at
The Abyssinian Baptist Church Addresses the Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome

> NEW YORK, Jan. 12 /PRNewswire/ -- The Board of Christian Social Concern of
the Abyssinian Baptist Church is sponsoring the 6th Annual Dr. Martin Luther
King, Jr. Nonviolence Youth Program on Monday, January 19, 2004, from 10:00
am to 4:00 pm.

> This year's theme is "Respect Yourself" and will examine how both youth
and adults can incorporate Dr. King's Principles of Nonviolence into their
lives in a manner that they will find entertaining and enlightening.
Special guest speaker, Dr. Joy DeGruy-Leary will speak about the Post
Traumatic Slave Syndrome at 1:00pm.  She presents facts, statistics and
documents that illustrate how the destruction of African culture continues
to affect our lives today.  The annual forum celebrates the life and legacy
of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. providing fun and interactive workshops with
Harlem Children's Zone Peacemakers and Impact Repertory Theatre for the
youth, based on the theme.  Abyssinian's Voices of the Messiah will perform.

> Dr. Leary has given workshops for 20 years with various cultural and
ethnic groups that form the basis of contemporary society.  Her workshops
also go beyond the topic of cultural sensitivity because she provides
specialized clinical work in the areas of mental health and ecological
resilience.  Her Post-Traumatic Slave Syndrome theory proposes that stress
related illness is the inherited result of the slave experience and the
oppression that followed which was passed downed through generations.  The
program is free of charge and doors open at 9:00 a.m. for a continental
breakfast.  To register for this event please call (718) 875-3130 and leave
your name and telephone number.

> The Abyssinian Baptist Church was founded in 1808 by a group of Ethiopian
merchants who were unwilling to accept the racially segregated seating at
the First Baptist Church in Lower Manhattan.  Accompanied by free African-
Americans, they organized to form The Abyssinian Baptist Church. Abyssinian,
named after an ancient name for Ethiopia, is the oldest Black Baptist
congregation in the State of New York.  The church has had esteemed
ministers such as Adam Clayton Powell, Sr., Adam Clayton Powell, Jr., Dr.
Samuel Dewitt Proctor and the current Pastor, Rev. Dr. Calvin O. Butts, III.
Abyssinian is a church with a vision to build the Harlem community and
continues the long tradition of spiritual growth, community development and
empowerment.  It is a vanguard for positive social change whose members take
seriously the Christian command to spread the Gospel with love, peace and
justice, to feed the hungry, to heal the broken-hearted, to build shelter
for the homeless, to clothe the naked and to give to those who are lost an
undying hope in Jesus Christ.

> Source: The Abyssinian Baptist Church
>
> CONTACT:  Carolyn Jackson, +1-718-875-3130 (evenings), or Abyssinian
> Baptist Church, +1-212-862-7474
>
> Web site:  http://www.abyssinian.org/
> lllll
> QUOTATION:
>
> "All of us may not live to see the higher accomplishments of an African
empire, so strong and powerful as to compel the respect of mankind, but we
in our lifetime can so work and act as to make the dream a possibility
within another generation"
> -<html><A HREF="http://members.aol.com/GhanaUnion/afrohero.html">Ancestor
Marcus Mosiah Garvey <i>(1887 - 1940)</i></A></html>