GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:29:35 EST
It is certainly reasonable for any or all of you to wonder aloud if not
having a computer is reason enough for not hearing from a party seeking the
support and participation of every Gambian. It does not however change the
facts. The guys simply don't have computers. Incredible? Yes. I can't tell
you otherwise because  people either have  computers or they don't. I don't
know how you extrapolate that to be a referendum on their party or what it
stands for. Sure every politician worth his mettle is constantly seeking to
persuade people including members of G-L of the efficacy of their ideas, but
all such overtures are predicated on what is possible. That is why I
suggested a conduit process in which list members can raise specific or
general issues either to the party or an individual member to be addressed.
It is certainly not the most efficient way but dialogue would proceed in a
productive manner and every one of us in the end would be able to come to  an
informed conclusion based how the issues are addressed. We have to go with we
have. Their website at www.udpgambia .org was a small effort on the part of a
few supporters out here in the US to serve as a communication bridge between
the party and the Gambian cyberspace community. People can post question,
register dissent or find ways to contact individual politicians within the
party. It is all part of the overall reaching out you and all of us seem to
want. Popular support for UDP does not translate to a financial windfall for
the party. All their support comes from the beleaguered citizens of our
country who are honest decent people with no money. The dynamics of their
existence has to be understood in that context. There is almost no capacity
within their support base for the kind of resources to do all of the
important rudiments of efficient politicking. Clearly one would have
preferred that ours was a prosperous nation in which citizens can adequately
sponsor the political parties they choose to support. Until then we must
contend with the inadequacies that come with little resources.
Clearly ,Hamjatta the UDP or the other politicians you mentioned do not
measure up to your standards and that is your entitlement. I only wish you
continue to stay engaged in political process, you might someday inspire,
find or even be the kind of leader you believe  our nation really deserves.
The nation benefits from the collective wisdom of many, but it also
undoubtedly suffers when a similar number of us disengages. Ousainou Darboe
is not a member of parliament, he ran only for President and that is why he
does not sit in Parliament. He however closely works with the UDP delegation
in the House and it is fair to say their views such as their recent motion to
 initiate a constitutional process to look into impeachable allegations
against the President reflect his own. On the one hand you condecendingly
extoll him to use his 'wealth' to invest in the party , but you
simultaneously chide him for being what you call a part-time leader because
he maintains an active law practice. Clearly the man deserves no credit in
your eyes. I am hopeful we can transcend conjecture and begin to ask and
attempt to answer the very important questions of our country and the kind of
leadership each and every one of us want.

Karamba