GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:59:57 EST
Mr Silla,
             Your questions about what criteria I used to to come to the
conclusion that the UDP is the party that merits my support are fair and I
will try address them. First I asked for and got a copy of their manifesto,
congress report and roster of leadership and thoroughly read their contents.
In their manifesto like any political  document I found much to like and
things I disliked. For example they are committed to maintaining the army  as
an institution whilst I favor a gradual phase out because I don't believe at
our current stage we can either afford or even need a standing army. But
overall the manifesto enunciates ideas and positions I believe would bode
well for our country and hence my support.And you asked if they enjoy broad
popular support in the country. My answer is a categorical yes. How else does
one explain The UDP presidential candidate polling 38% of the vote after only
been allowed two weeks of campaigning during which Yahya Jammeh unleashed
incalculable cruelty on innocent people using the security forces and other
organized vigilante groups to ensure  a rigged outcome. Do you for one moment
believe Yahya Jammeh can credibly compete much less win a political contest
that was conducted in a free and fair manner? The guy simply doesn't cut it
and you know it. Every credible development partner has declared him
illegitimate and continue to withhold vital aid all because he wants to hang
on the neck of Gambia like an albatross even as her citizens clearly prefer
others.The circumstances for the overwhelming majoirty of our people have
worsened. Businessmen have seen a marked decline in the volume of their
enterprises coupled with confiscatory taxes, a lethal combination for them in
the long run. Government workers face uncertainty  and sporadic late salary
payments. Hundreds of thousands of farmers face ruin and destitution because
for two years in row, the government has failed to facilitate the buying of
their groundnuts. Every segment of the population is clamoring for a
leadership that would focus and come up with solutions to these very serious
matters. The government they know only churns out excuses, rationalizations
and obsfuscations. I am confident the people of Gambia would resort to voting
for a "kankurang" if he stays true to form and jails all his opponents ,
rather than even consider voting for Yahya Jammeh. The UDP would win with an
overwhelming majority.
Sure among it's leadership are former senior members of the PPP regime. But
so what? These are qualified citizens who held government jobs. They have
never been convicted of any crimes either during or after their assignments.
What do you expect in a country with an almost non existent private sector
?The government is where the jobs are and they held it. Do you just want to
expunge them from national life simply because they held a job?  I think good
people ought to be sought if they have services to offer. The UDP is well led
by honest and credible people working for change. If you have specific
allegations about a particular individual in the leadership I and the rest of
the list members would like to hear you out. That is the essence of a debate.
But I am afraid perceiving them to be tainted simply because they worked in a
former government is unfair and lacks merit. As for Lamin Waa Juwara I am
afraid we would agree to disagree. I think you are simply wrong in your
characterizations. He is a principled politician who is articulate and not
afraid to stand up to bullies. And he is funny too , so there you have it; an
added incentive to have the guy over dinner. He will try to get your vote ,
if that fails you would still have had you dinners'  worth in astute
political analysis, an honest pitch for support and a good laugh.

Karamba