GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Binneh s Minteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 12:13:43 -0500
Sorry all....i have to resend this again because i got a reject message
that i have to resend  again.

Life is tragical rather than a comical thing that moments of gaities
are interludes and not part of the actual drama. Life is an illusion and
realities are just simple figments of our imaginations.November 11th 1994
is one of those realities in the Gambia. Gambians have since then being
wondering what happened on that very day and why that happen. Again the
whole country is still wondering about who died and how they died.As a
former lieutenant in the Gambian Army, stationed in the Fajara Barracks and
as the former assistant Battallion commander incharge of the Fajara
barracks then,i would like to tell all about Friday November 11th 1994.
    It happen on a friday night at around 6.00pm when the AFPRC started
rounding up officers and men at the Yundum army barracks for what they

called coup plotters. At Yundum barracks the following officers  who where
on alert or standby then were arrested.
        1.LT Bassiru Barrow
        2.LT LAMIN JARJU
        3.SLT BUBA JAMMEH
        4.SLT MOMODOU LAMIN DARBOE
        5.SLT ALIEU BAH
        6.SLT L. F. JAMMEH
        6.SLT MOMODOU MANNEH
        7.cadet Sillah
        8.LT SAYE WAS ARRESTED AT HIS HOUSE IN SERREKUNDA WHEN HE WENT TO
          VISIT HIS FAMILY.
To my understanding they were then taken to an undisclosed location by Sana
Sabally, edward singhateh and sadibu hydara. Rumours of the arrestation
reached me when i was on alert or stanby too at the Fajara barracks,
together with some officers and men.After july 22nd 1994, the AFPRC
required all officers and men to be on constant alert or standby.(This is
for those who may be asking why we were on alert or standby).As the officer
incharge of the Fajara barracks then,i the
n caution my adjutant then lT
ABDOULIE FAAL(DOT) to find out what was going on. He then insisted that he
will have to go to Yundum Barracks to make sure that everything was fine.
LT FAAL was also picked up upon arrival at the Yundum Barracks. After not
hearing from LT FAAL for a few hrs, i began questioning myself as to what
was going on. Later on i got i phone call from Yundum Barracks that i
should go over there. This was by an APRC council member. I became
skeptical and decided that i will not go.A few minutes later i got a call
from a very loyal soldier that i should not come and that all the officers
and other senior ranks  were arrested and infact one was already executed
who was said to be Lt Bassiru Barrow.
    A half an hour later,fajara barrakcs came under attack,and there was a
gun battle until the early hours of the morning. I was lucky to escape and
interstingly enough i was in the country for a whole week befo
re i finally
left the country for senegal.I got all this facts whiles there unsuccesful
massive hunt for me was on.Loyal troops feed me with information and helped
me get to senegal.
    In senegal i was treated in accordance with Geneva convention
regulation governing refugees.I would like to thank the senegalese
authorities for all their assistance as that is a clear manifestation of
their respect for international law and human rights in particular.
    I want all Gambians to know that the AFPRC under Yaya Jammeh infact
summarily executed most of this officers mentioned above and an unknown
number of ordinary rank and files and non -commission officers. They
alledgedly accused us of trying to overthrow them which was a lie. It was a
strategy they used to eliminate influencial officers and men who they think
pose a treat to them.Below is a summary of the the executions.

 YUNDUM BARRACKS EXECUTIONS      FAJARA BARRACKS EXE
CUTIONS
 - LT Bassiru Barrow           - LT ABDOULAYE FAAL KNOWN AS DOT FAAL
 - LT SEYE                     - CADET SILLAH
 - SLT BUBA JAMMEH             - SO MANY OTHER RANK AND FILES
 - SLT MOMODOU MANNEH
 - SLT MOMODOU LAMIN DARBOE
 - ONE WARRANT OFFICER

    THE FOLLOWING THREE OFFICERS ESCAPED AT THE EXECUTION GROUNDS IN YUNDUM
                      LT LAMIN JARJU.
                      SLT L. F. JAMMEH
                      SLT A. BAH
Mass graves can be found in the fajara barracks and the Yundum army barrack.
May the souls of all victims of the November 11th 1994 rest in perfect
peace.Fellow Gambians,in conclusion, i just want to say that in our
continuous effort to solve the Gambian situation, let us continue praying
and God will help us all.The evil that men do lives after them and as we
can tell things are already falling apart and everything is just
unravelling gradually. I was there
 on November 11th and this are facts. I
will neve forget November 11th 1994.
          MAY GOD BLESS THE GAMBIA