EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS Archives

Evolutionary Fitness Discussion List

EVOLUTIONARY-FITNESS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"D. Tweed" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 14:13:31 +0000
Hi,

(Apologies for yet another question.) Can anyone on the list recommend a
good (preferably currently in print) book on exercise. I'll be the
first to admit I know absolutely nothing in this subject area.

What's making me a bit leery of just buying one that looks ok from the
local bookstore is:

(i) My aims don't seem to be those catered for by any of the book
authors. My three motivations are:

(a) Primarily, gaining the appropriate muscle/whatever that would help me
avoid health problems with the way I live my normal life, e.g., back/neck
problems, strength for carrying groceries, etc.

(b) Move towards the sort of body which Prof De Vany indicates has a basal
metabolic rate which has better support from evolved bodily mechanisms.

(c) Possibly gain more `energy'.

I couldn't care less what this makes me look like (from Emo Philips to one
of the Fat Boys), nor what the max weight I could bench press/etc would
be.

(ii) I'm particulary interested -- from reading the mail archive about all
these common exercises where `the back muscles aren't properly engaged for
support'/etc -- in a book by someone who has paid proper attention to
exercises that might cause injuries, both immediately and 5-10 years down
the line. (I'm not a great believer that unaided `your body automatically
knows the correct thing to do'. Certainly as regrards eating all the
things I like -- in a non-addicted type way -- are things that are
palaeolithic diet/Neanderthin/evfit archives suggest I shouldn't eat.)

I realise that there's probably ulikely to be anything that's
completely perfect from this perspective, but anything that any list
members can suggest would be appreciated.

Many thanks for any assistance anyone can offer,
www.cs.bris.ac.uk/~tweed/pi.htm|tweed's law:  however many computers
email: [log in to unmask]     |    you have, half your time is spent
work tel: (0117) 954-5250      |    waiting for compilations to finish.