ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:35:24 -0600
Give Me A Break

By Phil Scovell

     Frankly, I was stressed out at the time.  Things had happened
that I didn't like and the stress was building up.  As far as I
was concern, the Lord could come right then and there and that
would be fine with me.  Although I wasn't suicidal, I didn't even
care if I lived another day and preferred not to if given the
choice.

     I felt half asleep as I shuffled slowly into my office.  I
picked up a piece of paper off my desk as I stepped behind it, and
placed the paper on my floor to ceiling bookshelves.  As I did so,
I thought to myself, "Lord, can't you even cause something good to
happen to me today?"  I meant, of course, "Come on, Lord.  Give me
a break.  Let the pressure up."  I immediately thought of two
things the Lord could do for me that would lift my spirits.  Both
things had to do with money.  After those two things, I
immediately said to myself, "That won't last.  When the money
drains away, if either one of those things were to happen, I'll
feel just like I do now."  Then I heard the voice of the Lord.

     "You don't need those things because you have me."

     I smiled inwardly, recognizing the truth about who Jesus
really should be to me personally.  I took my feelings and
thoughts away from focusing on what I thought would make me happy
and put them on Jesus instead where they belonged in the first
place.  I realized Jesus just wanted to be the Lord of all my life
and not just a part of it; the part I would allow Him to have.

     Where is Jesus in your life today?  Are circumstances trying
to crowd Him out of your life?  Are painful emotions attempting to
override His love for you and doing a mighty good job burying you
alive in worry and fear and guilt?  Does it feel like what is
being spoken to you in your mind through all the confusion is
true?  then call me and let's pray and find out where it is rooted
so we can all be free to the extent we can always put Jesus first
each day.

Safe Place Fellowship
Phil Scovell
Denver, Colorado