EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alan Cantor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Feb 2001 14:21:54 -0500
> Under Windows 98, What is the mininum number of files
> that should be loading through the "start-up" routine? I always use I.E.
5, Office 97, and ftp.

> My system has 128 RAM, yet when I try and combine 2 files
> (approximately 30k each), I recieve an "out-of-memory."

James is right. The fewer programs that run in the background, the better.

I have seen Windows PCs with as many as 25 or 30 background processes
running -- all of which nibble away at system resources. In general, most
systems require only three or four of these programs to run well. Removing
superfluous programs can make a system more stable.

In Windows 98 and Windows Me, there is a utility for managing these
programs. It is called msconfig.

To start msconfig, go to the Start menu, choose "Run" and type "msconfig" in
the edit field.

On the "General" page tab, choose "Selective Startup."

On the "Startup" page tab, you will find the names of (and paths to) 10 or
20 or more programs that load automatically when you boot your PC. You can
prevent a program from automatically launching by unchecking the check box
beside its name. The names of some programs are cryptic; sometimes the path
name will give a clue as to what it does.

Try deactivating as many programs as possible. Very few are actually
necessary. I suggest, however, that you leave alone the following:

- ScanRegistry
- LoadPowerProfile (however, there are usually two of these; so uncheck one
of the two.)
- Your virus software.

Programs with important-sounding names like “Critical Update,” “Scheduling
Agent,” and “TaskMonitor” are not vital, in my experience.

When you close msconfig, you will be prompted to restart your PC. The
changes come into effect when you reboot. If you unchecked many programs,
your PC will boot significantly faster, and your system will have more RAM
available. If you discover later that an application does not work properly
or is not available, then return to msconfig, go to the "Startup" page tab,
and re-check boxes that are connected to the misbehaving application.

Knowing how to manage startup programs is an essential skill for assistive
technologists. Many startup programs conflict with the software people with
disabilities depend upon. I have seen, for example, software associated with
a scanner that made NaturallySpeaking virtually unusable. I fixed the
problem by deactivating the scanner software in the startup group. The user
now launches the scanner software only when needed.

You should run msconfig periodically. New startup programs may be added when
you upgrade software, download applications from the internet (e.g.
RealPlayer), or reconfigure software.

Alan

Alan Cantor
Cantor + Associates Inc.