CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Issodhos @aol.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 23:59:11 EST
In a message dated 1/7/00 7:29:16 PM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> This is hardly to side with Cohen, but merely with some of his
>  logic...the fact that we haven't seen proof of an innocent person
>  executed is by no means proof that such has not happened...on the
>  contrary, do the math and it seems obvious - tragically so - that we've
>  offed innocent people.

    Which is to say a lack of proof is proof in and of itself?  This is
simply not going to wash as an argument against capital punishment.  My point
is that if one wishes to make a case against capital punishment which will
influence the overwhelming majority who apparently approve of or accept it,
one cannot do so by claiming innocent people are being executed unless one
has proof.  Nor will they listen if one attempts to make heroes out of
murderers such as Mumia, or if one attempts to claim murderers are the real
victims who are simply acting out their socially consigned roles.  This will
do nothing more than harden their hearts to one's words because they will
ascribe an agenda driven political motive to such claims.  It becomes even
more damaging when one begins challenging capital punishment because it does
not reflect racial proportionality.  They view this as attempting to apply
racial quotas to death row and that is something they will not buy into.  So
one must ask, what is it that would influence the majority of Americans to
reject the death penalty as a legitimate form of punishment?

    On the other hand if one wants to simply preach to the choir such
politically generated chatter can keep left dressers happily entertained as
they continue to assert each other's superiority relative to the American
masses.
Yours,
Issodhos