CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Frank Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Frank Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 1997 22:34:58 -0700
On Mon, 23 Jun 1997, William Meecham wrote:

> There are always differences.  But the LA uprising drove the police out,
> and I can attest that the better paid workers (in upscale West LA) were
> panicked.  It took 2-3 hours to get home, when usual time is 20Min.
> the roads were at a standstill.  If that isn't rebellion        I don't know
> what is.
> wcm

Actually, if impossible road conditions are a sign of rebellion, we've
already passed revolution and are well into...reformation? Respectfully,
if detaining the upper class from dinner for a couple of hours is worth
fifty or so dead members of the working class, a revolution may be even more
costly than many here think, especially to those who live in ghettos.

The problem may be, a romantic notion of violence and that lashing out in
frustration can be a form of uprising. But that is dangerous, as is thinking
that what happened in south central was anything approaching an assault on
class power. Based on what some folks seem to think, a frustrated worker,
abused by his boss and suffering the outrages of everyday reality, is
experiencing rebellion if he goes home and beats the crap out of his wife. >
fs