From:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Ferland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2007 19:08:12 -0400

As always thanks to all who responded--this is an amazing and
supportive group!
A few days ago I reported on my unexpected 7 % bone density
improvement using TriBoron Plus, other supplements & exercise. I now
want to add strontium to my regimen and asked if I should continue
taking the boron along with the strontium. After receiving many
to my regimen.

Others offered the following information:
1.  "My gastroenterologist makes me take a weekly prescription
vitamin D 50,000 capsule and tests my D regularly"
[several others said they were also taking this much vitamin D. I had
mine checked at my annual physical and my level is fine].

2.  "In addition to calcium, boron, etc. I take horsetail to
strengthen muscles and other tissues close to bones.   Also I try to
eat a ph balanced diet.  An acidic diet will leach calcium from bones."

3.  Good websites are:
	* National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF) at http://www.nof.org
	* The Mayo Clinic offers an excellent overview with clear,
illustrated explanations at 								http://www.mayohealth.org/mayo/
pted/htm/osteopor.htm
	* See the Doctor's Guide for a comprehensive list of links,
including general information, news, and discussion groups at http://
www.pslgroup.com/OSTEOPOROSIS.HTM
	*  www.betterbones.com
	* The website strongwomen.com has a "Ask the Experts" section - you
could ask about the supplements there.

4.  These books were recommended:  Strong Women, Strong Bones; The UV
Advantage: The Medical Breakthrough That Shows How to Harness the
Power of the Sun for Your Health by Michael F. Holick & The Rosedale
Diet Book by Ron Rosedale. "Rosedale's plan to lose weight gets the
body to burn its fat store (& repair & rebuild) by strictly limiting
carbs, increasing healthy Omega-3 fats (olive, canola, and fish oils)
and getting adequate, but not excess, protein from lots of fish
(Omega 3s), some lean-meats, or non-meat sources.  For those w/
osteoporosis, I was surprised that suggested supplements for calcium
are on the low side but Vitamin D is much higher.  It was noted that
calcium the body can't/doesn't use to make bone can be stored in less
than desirable places, such as plaque in arteries."  [Has this been
scientifically proven?]

5.  "If falls are a problem you might want to consider using hip pads."

6.  "You may want to take a look at Bone Formula by Pharmanex.  My
friend saw a 25% increase in bone density after taking this for 1
year. Go to www.executive-concepts.com for a complete list of gf
products and ingredient info."

7.   "I used Natural Progesterone cream which was prescribed and
compounded for me (or you can use ProGest).  The usual creams from
the Health Food Store are not adequate.  If you want more info try
Dr. John Lee's site - www.johnleemd.com. or read What Your Doctor
Won't Tell You About Menopause.
Last January, I had back surgery in South Africa and the surgeon said
to me that the bone was lovely, healthy bone.  I said I had been
taking strontium and he replied that they use it all the time there.
I was told to take 2 capsules of 227 mg. strontium together -
separated from calcium by 2 hours and on an empty stomach.  I was
also told to continue taking calcium but less.  I imagine the total
mineral load we can cope with is limited per day."

8.  "Starting this week, I'm going to take a six-week course of
teraparitide which is an osteoporosis medicine you take by injection
and that is apparently the only approved treatment that acts to
stimulate osteoblastic bone formation."

9.  "Take calcium citrate + magnesium citrate in a ration of 2:1.
Citrate can be taken on a full or empty stomach and is absorbed by
the spine whereas carbonate is not.   Split the dose so that you are
not taking more than 500 mg. total at any one time.   Make sure one
of the doses is at bed time as that is when the greatest bone loss
takes place.   Do not take it within 2 hours ot taking thyroid
medication as it will interfere with its absorption."

I hope this summary is helpful to everyone who is searching for
information about osteoporosis. We all have to decide for ourselves
what is best for our own bodies. Good health to all!
Mary in NH