From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:51:02 -0500

What happened to the Food Allergen Bill? Before the last congressional
session ended, the senate bill did not make it to the full senate for a
vote.

Now what happens? With all the changes in congress, Kennedy and Lowey's
Food Allergen Labeling bills will have to be reintroduced to congress.
Basically, the process starts over. Kennedy's office is working to get
the bill introduced by the new Senate HELP Committee Chairman. It looks
like that will be a republican. However, until the republicans can
organize themselves, they are not announcing the Chair holders. My
sources at Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), tell me
this may take a few weeks or longer. Until that Senator is announced and
takes on the duties of the committee, the Kennedy bill is dead.

The food industry is strongly opposed to this bill. The FDA acknowledged
the industry's voluntary labeling changes and both feel that this is
enough. However, patients with food allergies and intolerances know
better.

So what can we do? GIG has joined CSPI and other groups to continue to
apply pressure to make mandatory food allergen labeling reforms. Our
goal is national reform. Since a number of health-related issues could
get hung-up in this congress, and the food industry is opposed and has a
strong presence in Washington, DC, the plan is to show the FDA, food
industry and congress that this issue is too important to ignore or
patronize with voluntary labeling recommendations.

Therefore, movement is underway to introduce legislation at a state
level. By keeping visibility nationally and in selective states, we have
a bigger voice and impact in labeling reform.

If you are interested in being part of this movement, we need permission
to share your name and contact information with our contact at CSPI and
finally with others in your state involved in this project. (Your
privacy is important. Information you provide will only be shared with
CSPI for this purpose and will not be posted to any public list.)
Information is being prepared in the format needed (as well as
nontechnical language) to help introduce legislation in States.

If you are interested in helping, please send an email to
[log in to unmask] providing your contact information and written
permission to share it with CSPI and others from your state related to
this project. If you have lobbyin= g skills, contacts, know of someone
in your state legislature with CD/DH or food allergies, this information
is also helpful.

We can make a difference if we work together.

Cynthia Kupper, RD, CD
Executive Director Gluten Intolerance Group
Chair Dietitians in Gluten Intolerance Diseases
Secretary Digestive Disease National Coalition