From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 1995 12:10:47 EDT

Roy Armour wrote:

> Rice Dream Original (in blue carton) is GF.
> Rice Dream Enriched Original (in white carton) is GF, and also
>         provides 30% of daily adult requirement for calicum.
> Ener-G Nut Quik powder is GF.
> Ener-G Soy Quik powder is GF.
> Almond Milk is _not_ GF.

I find this a bit troubling.  Roy's wife runs a store with GF products,
which gives the answer some credibility, but I would still prefer to see
references from the companies or a list of suspect ingredients to back
up these claims.

-----------------

Wholesome & Hearty Foods, Inc., makes a product called "AlmondMylk".
According to a letter from them, dated May 19, 1995, there are two
flavors:  Original and Vanilla.  The original flavor contains barley
malt and is NOT GF.  However, the Vanilla flavor is gluten-free and
therefore safe for celiacs.

To quote the letter: "...I have researched the points of concern such
as wheat or wheat like ingredients, grain alcohol vanilla, and barley
enzymes used in processing.  I have been assured that there are no
products that would be suspicious for the Celiac person....try our
product AlmondMylk, Vanilla.  This flavored non soy and non dairy
beverage made from almonds is a refreshing and satisfying milk
substitute..."

The letter is signed by Frank Card D.C.-N.D., National Sales Manager.
Contact info:
     Wholesome & Hearty Foods, Inc.
     975 S.E. Sandy Blvd.
     Portland, OR  97214
     Phone: (503) 238-5624
     Fax:   (503) 232-6485

-----------------

Eden Foods provides two beverages:  EdenRice and EdenBlend.  I quote
the following from a letter we received from Eden Foods on June 24,
1995:  "Special note: the rice syrup in EdenRice is processed with
barley enzymes, but it is washed afterward."  They list it as GF, but
I would not trust it.

However, the other product, EdenBlend, is not processed with barley
enzymes and is on their GF list; so it should be safe for celiacs.
Their GF list is preceded by this statement:  "To the best of our
knowledge, the following Eden products contain no form of wheat or
gluten as an ingredient or in their processing and packaging:"  I find
the fact that they looked beyond just the ingredient list rather
reassuring.  (On the other hand, the letter was not signed by anyone.
Oh, well...)

Contact info:
     Eden Foods Inc.
     701 Tecumseh Rd.
     Clinton, MI  49236

Keep in mind that all of the above discussion refers to products
produced and sold in the USA.

--
-- Jim Lyles
-- Holly, Michigan, USA