From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 1995 15:20:24 EST

Today, [log in to unmask] said:

> Autism probably is no more common in celiacs than in the rest....
> Someone can contradict this.  It would seem that Autistics can be
> Celiacs.  Celiacs are not necessarily autistic.

From our work as listowners of CEL-PRO, we have seen correspondance
amongst professionals on this very point.  I think it would be safe to
say that most professionals who have read the literature on gluten
intolerance in autism (e.g. Shattock, Reichelt, Waring) would say that
while no definitive relationship between autism and celiac has been
proven, it is certainly suspected.

Clearly, most celiacs do not have autism, but the behavioral changes in
autism are often seen in lesser degrees in celiacs who eat gluten.  As
Reichelt pointed out in an early post on our CELIAC list, the
behavorial changes in celiacs was first published many years ago by
Asperger himself, who is now credited as the co-discoverer of autism
(Kanner got the sole credit for many years).

Several years ago, Reichelt looked at the celiac blood antibody tests of
about 150 autistics, and where appropriate followed up with biopsies.
As I recall, he found 3 with untreated celiac.  While not a high ratio,
this is a far larger proportion than the general population.

Citations to these articles can be retrieved by sending to
[log in to unmask] the command:  GET CELIAC AUTCITAT

--
-- Jim Lyles
-- Holly, Michigan, USA