From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 2005 19:11:40 -0700

When I read Wendy's summary that said many people can't tolerate xanthan
gum, guar gum and tapioca starch I remembered something I heard recently.  A
few weeks ago, I was listening to a University of WA scientist talking about
genetically modified foods vs poisonous foods.  He said the plant from which
tapioca starch is derived has some parts that are toxic.  I can't remember
exactly which parts, perhaps the leaves or skin???  Anyway, he said that the
tapioca is toxic if not processed properly.  It makes me wonder if some of
those toxins may be found in tapioca starch even if properly processed.  If
so, then that may explain at least one reason (besides guar gum & xanthan
gum) many people have trouble with GF baked goods.  Many GF baked goods
contain tapioca starch.

I've used tapioca pearls to make stewed beef.  It was delicious, but I got a
belly ache after eating it the second time.  I thought it was perhaps
because the dishes were too rich & beefy.  But now, thanks to Wendy's
summary, I'm beginning to suspect that it could have been the tapioca.  So I
may try those dishes thickened next time with a little corn starch instead,
which has never bothered me.

~Valerie in Tacoma