From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:40:29 -0700

Since so many celiacs suffer with heartburn, reflux, gastritis, etc., I
thought I would risk getting on my soap box again.  Please forgive me if I
offend anyone with my opinions.  (And please don't flame me for expressing
them.)

I'm an RN & the over prescribing & overuse of acid blockers (Prilosec,
Zantac, TUMS, Axid, Maalox, Nexium, Tagamet, etc.) is my #1 pet peeve.  I've
seen too many patients' health decline after they begin taking these
medications.  In fact, I've observed a consistent decline in the digestive
health of everyone I know that takes these regularly.  Patients get hooked
on these medications because of the short term relief they offer, but
usually don't make the connection between these drugs and their worsening
health in the long run.  What acid blockers really offer is masking symptoms
that are caused by some underlying problem that should be addressed & can
usually be remedied by diet & lifestyle changes often coupled with
appropriate dietary supplements.  Unfortunately most doctors & many patients
prefer the quick relief offered by a pill rather than the more lasting &
healthier natural approach.  Even more unfortunate is that most doctors &
patients are ignorant of the harm these drugs cause and the healthier
alternatives for eliminating heartburn.

Antacid medications are not as safe as their promoters would have the public
believe.  They impair normal digestion & absorption of nutrients & cause
floral imbalances in the entire GI tract as well as nutritional
deficiencies, anemias, osteoporosis, food allergies, pneumonia, etc.  (Do we
celiacs need any more of these problems???)  There has even been reported a
fatality from a stomach infection tied directly to the use of a strong acid
blocker following a surgery.  The previously healthy kidney donor's stomach
acid was suppressed so that he had no natural defense against his own germs
which overwhelmed him. (Please don't ask for a reference to this case.  I
couldn't find it.  It was posted on this list w/i the last couple years, so
the patient and computer savvy can find it in the list archives.  But,
that's obviously not me!  ha ha!)

If you wish to know more, I hope you will take the time to read a very
important book, WHY STOMACH ACID IS GOOD FOR YOU by Jonathan Wright MD.
(Less than $15 at major book sellers.)  He explains in great detail why
stomach acid should not be suppressed & how to eliminate heartburn & reflux
naturally w/o the use of acid blocking medications.  This book provides
eye-popping facts & information that can't be found anywhere else.

Several years ago, I suffered from chronic & severe heartburn & gastritis.
I was prescribed Zantac, then Axid.  I took these drugs for about 10 days
then found Dr. Wright's book and a competent naturopathic physician familiar
with Dr. Wright's work.  I followed his recommendations to the letter.  I
recovered completely from the heartburn & gastritis.  I still follow his
program & rarely have tummy trouble anymore unless I screw up my diet.  My
digestive & overall health has greatly improved as a result.

Valerie in Tacoma