From:
Heather Cline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 12:26:40 EDT

Thanks everyone for the responses to my question "is Augmentin Gluten Free?".

 I previously posted a summary stating that Augmentin appears to be gluten
free based upon two responses from verified sources.  I have included the
rest of the responses here:

**

<< I have talked to the folks at Abbott labs, makers of Biaxin, and they have
assured me that it is GF.>>

**

<<CIPRO IS FINE>>

**

<<Six days before my CD biopsy, I started taking Augmentin for a sinus
infection. Three days into it, I developed severe gastroparesis (no intestinal
motility), which nearly resulted in an intestinal obstruction! Yikes! My
gastroenterologist told me to never, ever take Augmentin for any reason
whatsoever again.  This is not to say others wouldn't get along just fine with
this antibiotic, but just wanted you to be aware of the reaction I had to it.
It's a good drug, but my sensitive system couldn't manage.>>

**

<<According to a medicine book by Stokes Pharmacy (1-800-754-5222), it
states that Augmentin (all forms) by Smith Klein Beecham (800-366-8900)
is GF. Stokes Pharmacy (Bill Milazzo, Pharmacist) put together a book
called, "Celiac Sprue, A Guide through the Medicine Cabinet."
Bill also wrote that Smith Klein Beecham states that people must call
OTC and RX's meds questions for verification of GF status. [   ] P.S. If you
use the amoxicillin, don't forget that some people can get diarrhea from
antibiotics, so if this happens it may not be a gluten reaction.>>

**

<<Biaxin which is GF, corn-free and lactose-free. >>

***

<<The absolute source for this kind of information is Stokes Medical Arts
Pharmacy, Inc. (1-800-754-5222)  http://www.stokesrx.com/ They are located
in Medford NJ and are a compounding pharmacy specializing in GF meds for
celiacs.  They publish a spiral bound compendium of GF informations on both
prescription and over the counter drugs, and update it whenever new
information is found, weekly or even daily if necessary, so if you buy the
book you will have current information.  They will fed-ex the prescriptions
and have been very helpful over the phone as well.  My celiac wife carries
the Stokes book in her large purse along with her epi-pen and wal-dryl
(walgreens generic because benydryl is not guaranteed GF!!!)>>

***

WEBSITE:

http://www.idsl.net/celiac/day2day/day2day.htm#pge

Thanks for all the responses.