From:
Alexandra Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alexandra Lipscomb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jul 2009 08:25:28 -0500

Thanks to all who helped me figure out what to do with my little guy.

Most people suggested that the first step is to do a genetic test to
see if he is at risk for developing celiac.  If he is not, then we
would never have to worry about celiac.  If in fact he does, there are
a few studies that say to introduce gluten (very tiny amounts) at 6
months, and other studies that say to wait until a year.

After gluten is introduced, the only thing you can do is closely
monitor your child and see if you notice any red flags.  Then have
them tested once a year.  Since celiac does have to be triggered, it
can develop at any time.  So a negative result one year, could be a
positive result the next.

As for the trigger- it can be anything from a sickness to a pregnancy
or a surgery.  It can also just be something stressful happening in
one's life.  In my opinion, it's not important to know exactly what
the trigger was...

Good luck to all.  Feel free to email me with any further questions.

Alex