From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 1995 18:44:38 -0400

>I have seen "hydrolized vegetable protein (corn)" on at least one label
>though I can't tell you which it was. That's the good news. The bad news is
>that I've also seen "hydrolized cereal protein" (no specification) --
>something I'd never seen before. I'm afraid manufacturers may be
>substituting one vague label for another.

In answer to Linda's statement, My husband worked for General Mills for 26
years and AI know that in many situations they will use whatever cereal
grain is cheapest.  The same was true many years ago when he was with
Poctor nd ale nd thesed the cheapest oils.  This is not true if the product
is definiteyrelated t oe grain or one oil - i.e. Corn Kix or Cheerie o's
are definitely corn and oat based at all times.  As a special bonus the
employees were sometimes given cake mixes and boxes of cereal to try - you
can imagine my delight...  The fact is that we must always be vigilant -
that is becoming a frequent refrain on this list - and continue to call and
ask questions until the labels are finally unequivocal.

Gayle K.