From:
George & Gayle Kennedy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 1995 22:44:38 -0400

>In North America, USA & Canada, if I drink milk or eat, especcially soft,
>cheese, I get horrible tummy bubbles, gas pains, often diarrhea, and a severe
>headache.  These same products, eaten in Germany or France, or in Israel,
>evoke neither set of symptoms.  My assumption has been that in the North
>American milk industry we put in some additives that are toxic to me.  Any
>thoughts?  Information?  etc?  Thanks.
>
>Marianna Hartsong:  [log in to unmask]

Dear Marianna:  In Europe milk is frequently sterilized  rather than
pasteurized.  That makes it possible to keep the milk on the shelf without
refrigeration.  I think that is more likely to be the reason European milk
does not have a toxic effect on you, rather than  your American reactions
being the result of additives. I have found that boiled milk - in tapioca
pudding, for instance, does not affect me the way fresh pasteurized milk
does.  I have not any knowledge of cheeses and how they may be made, so
someone else must help you on that score.

Gayle Kennedy

P.S. I am more and more convinced that Crohn's disease is in some way
related to celiac disease.  This is not medical wisdom, this is just an
ordinary citizen watching from the sidelines and making an observation.  I
know that we celiacs tend to see wheat, etc. as poison and look at many
other illnesses or emotional or mental problems as related to the ingestion
of wheat - and many times it is.  Obviously, many times there is no
connection.  I hope others will be able to give you helpful advice with
regard to your daughter's recent diagnosis.