From:
Ann Elizabeth Herman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 16:00:02 -0800

Hello to all --

As an immunologist-in-training, I thought I would clarify a point that was
made about diabetes.

Autoimmune diabetes or "type I" diabetes is
associated with celiac disease because both diseases are associated with
the inheritance of particular types of genes called HLA genes.  Getting
this type of diabetes has nothing to do with eating too many
carbohydrates, too much sugar, or with eating lots of corn and rice.  The
connection between celiac disease and type I diabetes is genetic, not
dietary.

No association between celiac disease and type II diabetes (non-insulin
dependent) has been reported, probably because the genes that lead to
these two diseases are different.

Sincerely,

Ann Herman