From:
Laura Dolson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:47:33 -0400

I agree with Tracey and Carol and would add:

> Of course, there is still the issue of information provided by the celiac=
>  organizations about SAFE and UNSAFE ingredients.  How about including=
>  distilled vinegar, quinoa, etc. in the QUESTIONABLE category and again=
>  letting people decide for themselves?

Along with this, I'd like the reasons why they are questionable.  Do studies
show frequent contamination?  This is good info to have.  In the case of
buckwheat, for example, I hear rumors that the flour is often contaminated
with wheat, but that the whole buckwheat is a good bet - you can look through
it yourself, for one thing, and wash it.  If this is accurate, it would be
good for people to know so that they can make informed decisions.

If something is on a questionable list because "some people have had
reactions", that puts it in a different category from "often has
cross-contamination" or other reasons, and I'd like to know, before excluding
or tentatively trying a substance, what the deal is.

Laura