From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 1998 06:12:22 -0700

Carol Fonken <[log in to unmask]> said:

>I spoke to Jerry ... at Newman's Own... and he said that the salad
>dressings and salsas contain distilled vinegar and should not be
>considered safe.

>I get so discouraged when I see this kind of posting because what
>it tells me is that the food companies are now taking the most
>conservative line (protecting themselves and who can blame them).
>I would hate to think that companies may be leaving items off
>"safe lists" due to the presence of distilled vinegar or alcohol.
>What I would like to see the companies say about products containing
>vinegar is: This product contains distilled vinegar and might not
>be safe for some celiacs. That way, those individuals with celiac
>disease who do not tolerate vinegar can avoid the product but
>others of us can continue to enjoy it.

My personal view on this is that we American celiacs have ourselves to
 blame for this phenomena.  We support 5 major celiac support groups and
 they include some radically different views on vinegar, alcohol, quinoa,
 tef, amaranth ,etc.  We cannot expect the food companies to be sensitive
 to the details of a GF diet if our own organizations cannot agree.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles