From:
Jane Cole-Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jane Cole-Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:57:30 -0400

Thank you everyone who replied to my question on fibrillation.

Quite a few people had had problems with AF:

Atrial fibrillation was just one of the medical problems that I had pre-diagnosis, along with restless legs, anemia, labrynthitis (dizzy spells), gall stones, that all cleared up once I went GF. Amazing, isn't it?

In my mid-twenties, I spent 18 hrs with "arrhythmia."  Finally went to the hospital and the dr heard it, but by the time they hooked me up to an EKG, it was normal.  At the time, I assumed it was genetic since my grandfather had it, but now that you've brought it up, my episodes have decreased in number and definitely in length
since I was diagnosed with CD and I've been GF -- now it's usually just a couple minutes and only a couple times a year.

I would go into atrial Fib any time I got the stomach flu.  Appeared that the vomiting set off the atrial fib................  was the only time I had it.   but, since being on a gf diet, I have not gone into atrial fib. at any time, including when vomiting with the stomach flu.  maybe this is why.

My father has coeliac and always had atrial fibrillation.

 I'm a biopsy dx celiac & my dad, never screened for celiac, problems with racing heart rate.  His sister had the same problem again, never screened for celiac...Both were treated with blood thinners & treatments to restore normal rhythm. Dad eventually got a pacemaker. Both are gone now so no way to pursue it further.

I don't know if it is atrial fib, but everyone in our family (my husband and
I and our 2 children, 13 and 16) gets annoying, nonstop heart palpitations 9
times out of 10 when we get gluten.  Sometimes it is the first indication
that we have been contaminated.