From:
James Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jun 1995 21:17:00 EST

T. Ryan wrote:

TR> ...I have to go find a tylenol bottle to contact them, but I know
TR> there are ingredients that are not safe in it.  I spent over an
TR> hour reading labels last january after a work injury.  I ended up
TR> with excedrin....However - here in the Midwest the tylenol I find
TR> on the shelf lists ingredients that are NOT safe.

As soon as I read this, I went and looked up the ingredients in a
bottle of Tylenol Extra Strength Gelcaps, purchased at a store in
Michigan, USA.  Here are the inert ingredients listed:

     benzyl alcohol                   magnesium stearate
     butylparaben                     methylparaben
     castor oil                       propylparaben
     cellulose                        sodium starch glycolate
     corn starch                      titanium dioxide
     edetate calcium disodium         blue #1 and #2
     gelatin                          red #40
     hydroxypropyl methylcellulose    yellow #10

You'll note that there is not a single ingredient that is guaranteed
to ALWAYS contain gluten.  In fact, the only ingredient that looks
vaguely suspicious is "sodium starch glycolate".  On the strength of
that one ingredient, you might wish to be cautious about Tylenol, at
least until you contacted the company; however there is NO
justification for stating in absolute terms that Tylenol is not GF
based on the ingredients.

This is exactly the kind of posting that we need to avoid making.
When you state in absolute terms that a product is NOT GF, you need
to state specifically how you know this to be true.  If it is because
of an ingredient, state what the ingredient is and what gluten-
containing grain it came from.  If it is based on manufacturer
information, then state whether it came from a phone call or letter,
the date you got the information, and ideally who you spoke with and
the phone number or address.

If Tylenol is not GF, then it at least has a very low gluten
content.  There are many on the list who believe that very low gluten
content is acceptable for celiacs.  I'm NOT one of these people, but
who's to say they aren't right?  A posting which listed specific
ingredients that were questionable would have been acceptable; a
posting stating a conclusion as an absolute fact, without even
listing the questionable ingredients, is NOT.

This list is growing at a phenomenal rate.  I think we've averaged
five new subscribers A DAY since we topped the 500 mark.  That means
we are constantly getting new people on the list, and at least some
of them are newly-diagnosed or looking for a diagnosis.  When you
first find out about this disease, trying to follow the diet can be
overwhelming and depressing; the last thing new people need is to be
inundated with conflicting information such as we've seen here.  Be
careful to state facts, and to avoid individual conclusions.

Later the same day, John Cornell wrote:

JC> My wife called the USA Tylenol number this week...and got this
JC> clarification regarding Tylenol products:
JC>
JC> Tylenol does not use any gluten in any of their products, however
JC> Tylenol (McNeil Corp.) has been unable to get _all_ of their
JC> suppliers to certify that _all_ of their products are gluten
JC> free. Accordingly, Tylenol no longer certifies that their product
JC> is gluten free.

Note that he carefully stated the facts as he received them.  This is
an example of a good posting on the same subject.  It is very clear
how he got the information, and when.  (Listing the phone number they
called would have been even better.)

JC> In my estimation, any contamination would be slight, so I
JC> continue to dose my 22 month old son with Tylenol as he's
JC> teething and otherwise getting the aches and fevers which come
JC> with pediatric ills.  Make your own assessment of risk!

Here John draws a conclusion, but he makes it obvious that it is only
a conclusion, and with the last sentence he allows for the
possibility that others might wish to draw a different conclusion.

This list has been a source of help for many of its subscribers.
Through it people have learned of support groups, recipes, newly
breaking medical information, and kindred souls with common problems.
However, it has also at times been a source of misinformation and
biased opinions being presented as facts.  For those who live in
remote areas, this list represents the only "support group" they
might ever have.  I ask you all to please be careful whenever you
post something as a stated fact, for some of this list's readers have
no where else to turn for help.

--- Jim Lyles, [log in to unmask] ---
--------- Holly, Michigan, USA --------