Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 1995 18:21:25 -0500

In the never-ending quest for GF baked goods I thought I would pass on a
pleasant suprise:  *True* Itallian biscotti, (sweet cookie-like things
that taste great) are made from the most devilishly simple ingredients,
which suprisingly do not include wheat or (*usually*) gluten/
gliadin-containing ingredients.  They are traditionally made from
eggwhites, sugar, and some flavor-adding ingredient like almonds.  That
they come out like cookies is amazing.

I will say that Ive found a *few* companies which use "suspect"
ingredients, or the vague expression "natural flavors" which all celiacs
should consider a red flag.  One which does not is:

Biscotti Amaretti
DiCamillo Baking Co.
811 Linwood Ave. Niagra Falls, NY  14035
1-800-634-4363

They list "Almond Paste" as an ingredient, which is composed of apricot
kernals, sugar, and egg whites.  Theresa/Betty , at the co., checked with
the almond paste supplier and confirmed that there are no other
ingredients.  They are very friendly and helpful (Fam owned business...)

BTW They are coming out with a chocolate version soon.  I found these at Dean
& Deluca, a gourmet food market.

Also, they make a "Volare" cookie, but it contains Vanilla, which many
consider forbidden because, as an extract, it usually contains alcohol.
I would appreciate feedback/advice/experiences re:  vanilla, artificial
vanilla, etc .

Mattk [log in to unmask]

USA