Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 1995 12:12:47 -0400

Re: Don Wiss' posting:

>>Someone mentioned that tomato puree was not gluten free. Why? Is this
>>true of all canned tomato products?
>
>It is true only if the canned tomato product has HVP (hydrolyzed vegetable
>protein) in it. In the USA, if the ingredient list includes: flavorings,
>natural flavorings, or the like, then it is *not* gluten-free.

Being somewhat versed in logic, I would say that this as a false tautology.
In other words, it is not necessarily true that:

If *some* natural flavorings contain gluten, that *all* natural flavorings
contain gluten.

The point should be: If it says "flavoring", or "natural flavoring" it should
be considered a major red flag requiring further investigation (ie call the
manufacturer and ask TOUGH questions (NOT just "Is your product GF?"))

Finally, as an overrall question: Shouldn't manufacturers have to disclose
the existence of HVP or other gluten containing ingredients, especially under
the new government labelling guidelines?

USA