From:
Anna Zezel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anna Zezel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 23:11:25 -0500

WOW! When you ask for help on this listserve, you sure get it!  I want to
thank each and every one of you who sent me information regarding this
subject---the response was phenominal!  I received lots of helpful info and
will try to summarize below.  Please forgive me if this is not done
correctly, as I am new to this site.

Many people said CSA has wonderfule materials.  A good one to hand out
is "What the teacher should know....your student has celiac disease.
Website to order is www.csaceliacs.org/order.html.  I have already placed
an order for these.

One person said to send veratrum alb 30c with child in case of gluten
attack.

Several said to lend out my copy of Dana Korn's book on raising our celiac
kids to child's teacher.

A few mentio
ned to stress the importance for the office/teacher to leave
explicit info for a substitute teacher, as this is where many problems
arise.

Most said to set up meeting with teacher/principal, school nurse and
counselor.

I think everyone said to request to know ahead of time about food related
activities such as pizza parties, b-day parties, ice cream parties, etc.
And send cupcakes/brownies/popcycles to keep in school freezer for such
occasions.

A few said to emphasize the importance that when in doubt about a
food/drink to contact a parent or if unable to reach us, just don't give
treat to child.

One school nurse who is also a celiac wrote an article for the Nat'l Assoc.
of school nurses' newsletter and offered to fax or mail me a copy of the
article.

One said that apart from the food issue, make sure teacher is aware of the
emotional toll on child.  She think
s that the psycho-social implications of
celiac disease are the most difficult for our kids to handle.

One person said to download info from celiac.com and give to teachers.

Saw this one in numerous replies (and I already had stressed this one to
school):  Stress that child needs unrestricted bathroom priveledges and to
not be concerned if child takes some time in the bathroom.

A couple people said to do a presentation in child's classroom about the
difference in foods they eat and why child eats this way; and to hand out a
yummy home-made gluten-free treat for the class to try.

One person mentioned the make sure child speaks up for herself when another
parent or teacher says something like "I will just leave a little here if
you change your mind" after she has already said no.  This is particularly
hard for kids.

I also received several copies of letters all of which were wonderful and
re too many to attach.  I'm sure I will be using pieces of each letter to
create my own.

Sorry this is so lengthly, but wanted to share all the wonderful info I
received.