From:
A Gilliland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 08:08:16 -0800

Hi All--

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for a
substitute for mayonnaise for things like tuna salad
and chicken salad. Many of you suggested using yogurt
or sour cream and adding spices (not specified); some
suggested Vegenaise (which I did finally find in the
refrigerated section of my health food store). I've
pasted specific recipes/suggestions below. I think
they're all wonderful! Hope some are helpful for those
who requested a summary - and even for those of you
who might some day want a change.

_____________________________

I like Whole Foods mayonnaise (also known as Fresh
Fields)I also make my own mayonnaise using olive oil.

Put one egg in the blender, add 1/3 teaspoon salt and
1 tablespoon vinegar.  Blend lightly.  Then trickle in
slowly, once cup of olive oil.  Within seconds you
will have mayonnaise.

I have been using this for years and it is much
healthier than hydrogenated oils.  Some people are
concerned about the raw egg.  I do know that
salt, vinegar and olive oil all have preservative
qualities, but I leave that up to you.

___________________________

Many people on this list react to Hellman's.  Check
the archives for discussion on it. During Passover I
buy Season's Mayo.  I usually get a few jars and use
them through out the year.  I'm sure the ingredients
are not as good for you as Veganaise.

___________________________

Miracle Whip REGULAR is GF in case you want to use
that instead of a "substitute".

___________________________

I have been using Vegenaise for several years and find
it to be a satisfying substitute for Mayonnaise.  Buy
only the Vegenaise made with grapeseed oil.

They make a product using another kind of oil that
won't work for us with CD.  You will find Vegenaise
in the cooler of a health food store. The two kinds of
Vegenaise jars are always side by side in the cooler,
so be sure you get the grapeseed one.  I can't
remember what the other oil is, but something in the
ingredients of that product are suspect for us.

Sorry, I can't recall the problem.  But there is no
problem with the product I have mentioned, Vegenaise
made with grapeseed oil.

____________________________

two suggestion....either go to a health food stores
and check out the mayo with APPLE CIDER VINEGAR or try
Miracle whip.   I suspect you may be sensitive to
either or both .white vinegar and canola oil.  A lot
of us are.

____________________________

I use Nutrimax's Mayonnaise.  I had a hard time
finding anything corn-free; I think I got this from
Miss Robens.  My health food store doesn't carry it;
but probably others do.

It's good; the ingredients -- soy oil, apple vinegar,
liquid yolk, honey, water, sea salt, lemon juice,
onions, pimento, bay leaf, white pepper, celery,
parsley & cayenne.  (it's dairy free & gf -- marked on
the label).

____________________________

The egg and oil are pretty important in a mayo recipe,
but the seasonings are pretty optional. Just leave out
the seasonings that disagree with you. A little salt,
a little black pepper (if you want it) and you're good
to go. If you want, you could add some things like
paprika or lemon juice to experiment with, but I bet
the basic recipe might be all you need. Egg & oil is
the foundation.

Thanks, again, for all of the terrific suggestions!

Ayn/Kansas