From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 23:50:04 EST

                Gluten-Free Snack List for Celiac Kids
                -------------------------------------
                       by Jim and Vicki Lyles

We have two celiac children playing soccer this fall.  After each game
parents take turns providing a snack and a drink.  We passed out to
the other parents a list of gluten-free (GF) snacks and drinks that
can be found in a regular grocery store.  Of course, the other parents
might forget about the list, in which case we will stop and get
something our kids can have after the game.  Still, most of the time
the other parents do remember and our children don't have to feel
different after the game is over.

When I mentioned this during our small group discussions at the last
meeting, I was asked to include the list in the next Sprue-nik Press.
So here is the list we passed out for our daughter.  We used a similar
list for our celiac son, and I'm sure you could change it accordingly
for your celiac child:

     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

                  Gluten-Free Snacks for Janet Lyles

Janet cannot have any food made with wheat, rye, oats, or barley.
This eliminates all store-bought cookies, crackers, cupcakes, etc.
Janet's condition is not technically an allergy, but you can treat it
as such.  This means even small quantities of these grains must be
avoided, such as that which may be found in unspecified food starches
or unknown natural flavorings.

The following products are safe for Janet to eat.  (If a specific
brand is listed, don't substitute other brands, as the ingredients may
be different.)  If you have questions about another product, please
call Jim or Vicki Lyles at 634-4610.  If your child wants to provide a
snack not on the list below, that is fine; all we ask is that you
provide one of the items on the list for Janet so she doesn't feel
left out.  Thank you for helping to provide a snack that Janet can eat
safely!

Drinks
------
Any 100% juice (without "natural flavors", unless it is one of the
   brands listed below)
7-Up
A&W
Barqs
Capri Sun
Coke products (Sprite, etc.)
Crush
Dr Pepper
Hawaiian Punch
Hi-C
Kemps fruit drinks
Kool-Aid Bursts
Minute Maid
Motts juice boxes
Mountain Dew
Pepsi products
Slice
Snapple
Squirt
Sunkist
Vernors
Welch's juice boxes

Snacks
------
Planters Nuts (roasted & salted only; no "flavors" except honey
   roasted)
individual bags of plain-flavored Ruffles, Lays, Fritos, and Seyferts
   chips
raisins or any fresh fruit
string cheese
Tootsie Roll Pops