Date:
Thu, 27 Jul 1995 12:48:00 UTC

Laura Johnson-Kelly said, "Using a sourdough starter really cuts down on
the costs of baking gluten-free breads, because yeast is so expensive."

I'd like to point out an excellent source for very fresh, gluten-free and
pretty darned inexpensive yeast: King Arthur Flour Baker's Catalog. (Call
1-800-827-6836 in the U.S. or 1-802-649-3717 M-F 8:30am-5pm Easter Time to
get a catalog.)

Even with shipping and handling, their Red Star Yeast is cheaper than I can
buy in any local grocery store. Here's the description from page 25 of
their most recent catalog: "Bread and Rolls Rise Higher with Red Star
Yeast. We did the tests, and it's a fact. Buy our fresh (delivered to us
weekly) Active Dry Yeast by the pound to save money -- it's a great
all-purpose yeast. To keep yeast fresh, we recommend freezing it in our
airtight Acrylic Yeast Canister. Buy the canister and yeast together, and
save 15% on the price of the yeast." #5248 Canister and Yeast...$13.75.
#1459 1 lb. Active Dry Yeast...$4.50.

If all you buy is the 1 lb of yeast, shipping would be $4.06. Locally, Red
Star Yeast costs $4.50 for =4 ounces=! Since there are 16 ounces in a
pound, that would be $18 to buy, locally, the equivalent of what I can get
for $8.56 from King Arthur Flours. Locally, the yeast is never that fresh
(I always proof it and often have to coddle it to get it started). The
yeast from King Arthur I just throw in the bread machine and it always
springs right up.

Red Star Yeast is, of course, a company that really supports the celiac
community. They'll even send you gluten-free recipes on request.

King Arthur Flour Baker's catalog also has numerous wonderful kitchen toys
and electronics great for celiacs, as well as selling gf-flours.

Linda Blanchard
Midland TX