From:
Chris Kranzler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 09:52:15 -0700

Hi all,

Following up on my previous post about McDonalds and It's a Dogs Life.

I emailed McDonalds and told them the same story - that it is easier for us
to get meals without the bun for our dogs than it is for us as people.  They
called me back and were very supportive and understanding.  The support lady
wanted to know exact details of which McDonalds had given me trouble.  She
was going to talk with the Supervisors at those places and explain gluten
free to them a little more!  She also said she would talk to the main
headquarters in San Francisco and tell them about the problem too.  I
expressed the feeling that it was hard to get understanding when English was
NOT the language being used, and she is going to report that problem too.
SO hopefully things might get a little better around the San Fran area for
us!!

McDonalds have a VERY good allergen list online:
http://www.mcdonalds.com/countries/usa/food/allergens_sensitivities/index.html

This includes all the known allergens and GLUTEN FREE or WHEAT free foods -
so you can know exactly what is safe and what is not.  It's a great help for
us.  It's a list in Adobe format - so you can print it out and keep it in
the car at all times!

I talked to In N Out Burger too and they were very nice, explaining that
their burgers are safe but the sauce is NOT SAFE.  She said its easy to get
burgers there without the bun, simply ask for the Protein burger - this
comes wrapped in lettuce and they are used to people ordering like this.
Their fries are safe and made from fresh potatoes only.

We can thank the Atkins Diet for more places becoming used to the idea that
bread is not always wanted!!

I emailed Wendy's too - but so far no response!

I had some great replies to my post.  One in particular,  from a lady in
Sweden where celiac is so acceptable that McDonalds offer gluten free rolls
as a replacement for the buns if you want.  Now that sounds like heaven!
Wonder how long it's going to take the US to get to the point of accepting
celiac and wheat intolerance to the point where celiac and gluten free is
normal??  I think the more we email companies and ask questions and explain
celiac - the sooner heaven will come!

Best wishes,
Chris Kranzler

Wolven CyberArts - www.wolvencyberarts.com <http://www.wolvencyberarts.com/>
For great affordable web design, hosting and e-commerce.