From:
Ellen Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ellen Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:09:31 -0700

I just spoke to a customer service representative at novartis 1-800-333-3785 about benefiber and resource benefiber medical food.

I was not assured resource benefiber in the 7.2 oz cans labeled medical food currently guar gum only will stay that way. She only indicated that resource benefiber is not currently being changed. She did say Resource Benefiber as it is will still be available with prescription through home health companies, nursing homes and hospitals.

One problem with this information is the benefiber web site now does not say gluten free or lactose free.
Even if she said guar gum only.. The benefiber page at novartis does now say made in a plant with wheat, soy, milk and egg products.  It also mentions different ingredients for the same product..So is  it just guar gum or is it guar gum plus soluable fiber (from what) and a prebiotic (grown on what) ????

Many other web pages are selling benefiber especially resource benefiber and are still saying gluten free and lactose free. So the word is clearly not out.. This could be a truth in labeling act thing. The recipe may have already changed and the label not or they have a major cross contamination issue.

I just wish i knew what was going on. I did find out lost of whole sale dealers are selling the 4 can packs of the 7.2 oz resource benefiber at almost salvage prices which makes me think a labeling change is comming.  All otc benefiber packages are selling fast too.

What benefiber is on the shelves at the grocery stores now is it.  It will no longer be made without wheat starch listed. Many stores are already listing the powder as unavailable. If it is there and you depend on it, you might want to stock up. If you are sure it is not causing you problems...

Ellen