From:
Lynda Swink <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:09:49 -0700

First let me say thank you to all who responded to my question regarding
Pomona Valley Hospital, Pomona CA.  The most often mentioned suggestion
was to meet (face to face) with the dietician.

It is unfortunate that the dietician at Pomona Valley Hospital did not
want to take the time to see me today.  I had been told last week that
today I could speak to her face to face, but she would not see me.  I
was then told "to let my charge nurse know about the particulars of my
problems AFTER MY SERGERY!"  Yea, like I'm even going to be in any
condition to deal with that on a conscious level.

Luckily, I have a very dedicated and diligent husband to look out for
me.  I also received a TON of helpful information from a lady who is a
volunteer Co-facilitator for the Celiac Disease Foundation, East San
Gabriel Valley Chapter.  She sent me the following comprehensive
information and even volunteered to go to bat for me if I needed it!!!

Here in abbreviated form are her suggestions:

"Give [the dietician] a pamphlet which explains both the CD/DH condition
& the diet (including the types of foods, sauces, etc., where gluten is
often a hidden ingredient).  CDF's 'Guidelines For A Gluten-Free
Lifestyle, June, 2002 Edition, is a very good choice since it lists
about 400 food additives & ingredients that are GF.  If you don't
already have one and depending on when you will be going into the
hospital you still may be able to get one in advance by emailing CDF at
[log in to unmask] or calling them (818)990-3543.

Even with this information you will have to be very diligent in checking
& double checking as the head dietitian's, it seems, communicate with
certain staff, but sometimes things don't get passed down to the actual
kitchen help like they should be.  The hardest thing it seems for them
to be diligent about are the Hydrolyzed Plant or Vegetable Protein (HHP)
& (HVP) additives. It's a good idea to express your concerns to your
physician and ask for his help as well.  Often a word from an attending
physician will put them on their toes a bit better than with just
patient input.

Once you are checked-in try to talk with the head RN for your floor and
explain your needs as well.  If you regularly take any medication, bring
along your own (which you of course know to be GF) because hospitals
almost always offer the generic alternatives which often do contain
gluten.  This includes whatever pain medication you may need.  I know
they say never to bring your own medicine, but you really have little
choice since even the Tylenol isn't real Tylenol usually.  With a
cooperative doctor it should be ok with them.  .   The RN will hold them
for you & leave orders for their use, but you'll still have to actually
look at the pills when the nurses bring them to you because mistakes do
happen .   BTW: You may already know this but in case you don't... all
injectable medications are GF.

They usually give you a menu for tomorrow's meal with several things to
select from.  Some safe choices for Hospital food...

1) Fresh steamed vegetable are usually offered with no seasonings since
there are so many today who must restrict their salt intake.  Most
canned vegetables really are GF as well.

2) Meat or Fish which is not breaded & not pre-marinated is usually safe
providing it isn't covered with a gravy or sauce.

3) Baked potato is the safest choice since mashed varieties often have a
gluten containing margarine; and fries of course may be
cross-contaminated. You can ask what type of margarine they use however
and if it's one you know is GF then this would be a fine option.

4) Many times the rice dishes offered in hospitals aren't GF so unless
you're sure of GF status, it's best to avoid them.

5) Jell-o is nearly always offered as a desert option & is a good
choice.

6) Individual snacks like Fritos, Lays potato Chips, Motts applesauce,
Natural GF Yogurt or fruit cups are usually available.

7) Fresh whole fruits, apples, bananas, oranges, etc. are a good safe
choice. Peeling the apple is a more conservative way to avoid
contamination.

8) Soft or hard boiled eggs are always safe.  Some hospitals use eggs
which come in cartons & have gluten in them (somehow helps the egg stay
scrambled & helps with easy pouring)  so unless you know they use real
eggs avoid scrambled & naturally look out for contamination from
margarine or oil with any fried.

9) Cream of Rice cereal is another good choice.

10) Fritos & Lays potato chips & some GF candy bars (if you're so
inclined) are often available even if only from their vending machines.
A visiting family member, friend, a nice nurse or aide will get them for
you if vending machine is only option.

11) Some beef & Chicken broths are GF as you know but again you'd have
to check which ones they use."

Others wrote with similar suggestions.  Some other helpful hints were as
follows:   "post my question to this other gluten free forum -
http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages , "go online to
gluten.net and get the GIG Hospital Guide. It is a good investment," and
finally "WE decide to go the route of just saying we are allergic to
wheat, barley and rye. That worked!! Everybody understands allergic."

Again, let me say thanks to all who wrote me.  The thought of eating in
the hospital has been almost as nerve wracking as the thought of the
actual surgery I face tomorrow.  But, "Forewarned is forearmed" as they
say!

Lynda Swink

~*~ [log in to unmask]  ~*~ _@V ~*~