From:
Uri Markus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 15:49:20 +0200

Hello list.

Sorry I waited so long. I know I promised a number of you a recipe for
hamentaschen (Oznei Haman in Hebrew). I was actually waiting to hear
from a friend whose husband is a chef and was willing to concoct a
recipe for me but he's been sick, so I didn't get a response. So I had
to start looking for myself. I tried Helen Switkes' recipe (posted to
the list maybe a week ago) and it was indeed good and didn't even fall
apart, but my son loves really sweet things. So, along with her recipe,
I came up with a second one. Try it and tell me what you think.

I can't remember who posted the recipe for "all Purpose GF flour" and
said it works with just about everything, so I can't give him/her
credit. I sure would like to, tho. It uses every GF flour in my kitchen
except soy flour!
Here goes:

GF Flour Mix:
1 c. brown rice flour
2/3 c. tapioca flour
2 tsp. xanthan gum
1 c. white rice flour
1/3 c. corn starch
3/4 c. sweet rice flour
1/4 c. potato starch

Make a mix of this and use 2 cups of it (save the rest for something
else - waffles, cones, cookies) in the recipe:

Honey Dough:
2 c. sifted GF flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 shortening, softened
2 eggs
1/2 c. honey

Sift flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl. Make a well in the center
and place shortening, eggs and honey in it. Work together until a dough
is formed. Roll out on a GF floured surface and cut into 4" circles.
Place a heaping tablespoon of filling on each and fold into a triangle
shape, sealing the edges with wettened fingers.
Bake at 350 deg. for 20 min or until browned.
Makes about 1 1/2 dozen.

Fillings:
*Poppy Seed*:
1 c. poppy seeds
1/2 c. milk
1/3 c. honey
1/2 tsp. grated lemon rind

Grind poppy seeds or put through food chopper. Combine with milk and
honey. Cook all over low heat, stirring frequently until thick. Stir in
the lemon rind and cool the mixture. Cool and fill the dough.

*Nut & Honey*:
1 lb. (1/2kg) ground walnuts
1/2kg (1lb) honey
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. sugar
drop of lemon juice

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 2-3
minutes, stirring constantly. Let cool.

Happy holiday,
Sharon from Haifa