Date:
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 21:36:29 +0200

=BB I had been told previously that kosher sausages were probably GF as
=BB they contain no filler, but gave it little importance after a
=BB Jewish friend said he wasn't so sure.

Hi, all. The above is definately something I would NOT bank on. Kosher in
no way implies GF. Kosher processed meats, for instance the sausages
mentioned above, only imply that the meat in them does not come from pork
or other unkosher animal. Here in Israel, for example, where there are
kosher processed meats galore, you must be careful that what you pick is
ONLY meat, without wheat filler or HVP.

As a matter of fact, also be careful with "kosher for Passover" items.
These may not contain "flour" but they might contain "matza flour". (The
difference is a relative technicality since matzot are made with wheat
flour. The difference between regular flour and matza flour has to do with
how long, if at all, the wheat is allowed to be moistened by water or if
it contains a leavening agent of some kind.) On the other hand, "kosher
for Passover" items often do have wheat flour substituted by potato flour,
or even eliminated altogether, on dedicated lines, rendering them GF.
Therefore, there are items I stock up on at Passover time for the rest of
the year. It always pays to read labels.

Sharon Marcus
Haifa