From:
Lorraine Dowdle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jul 1995 22:45:11 -0400

Hi all,

Mike Johnson wrote "unless you are ingesting the vinegar without other
ingredients how can you be sure its the vinegar?  This surely is the problem
with all multi composition foods.  Could I ask if the problem foods were
purchased in a Supermarket and consumed at home, or in a restaurant.  Regards
Mike Johnson"

Mike,
Thank you for your question.  We've only known for a year that we have CD and
are still learning.  We have not eaten in restaurants since.  Boo Hoo.  All
the vinegar containing foods, that we eat, come from the supermarket.  I
learned early on, in our "discovery period" that there were almost no "safe"
processed foods and lots of conflicting information on what was safe.

We could count on fruits, vegetables and that's what we ate.  We slowly added
foods of all natures, (i.e., dairy, meats, condiments, etc...)  back in...a week
at a time.  I am not a scientist, so I did this the best way I could.  When we
are eating a very missed food, such as salsa containing distilled vinegar or an
ice cream containing mono & diglycerides.  When all 6 of us get sick for the
next 3 days, then I have MY answer.  I realize that Celiacs are reacting
differently to different things for different reasons.

My response to Mr. Kasarda was too strong, I realize.  I can only KNOW that
for our family, these things are a problem.

I'm grateful for any and all research Mr. Kasarda and others are doing in
this field.  Thank you so much from the bottom of our villi!

Lorraine Dowdle