From:
Sherill Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 08:55:18 -0700

I am new to the list, but old to CD. Diagnosed in 1947 as a baby, before
they knew that gluten was the culprit, I survived the initial crisis to
eat gluten for 30 years. At that time I fell apart with what seemed to
be  schizophrenia, but cleared up when when I went gluten-free. I would
be happy to share details with anyone who is interested, as I haven't
seen anything about this link on the list since I joined a couple of
weeks ago. I have now been gluten-free for 18 years, and have managed to
have two beautiful daughters, one of whom also has celiac. I would also
be happy to share details about raising celiac children - I have lots of
fun tricks. My celiac daughter (now 9 years old) has a good attitude
about it - she even told me that she gets lots more yummy home-made
treats than her non-celiac friends.
        I do a lot of baking using a sour-dough mixture (made from GF
flour, of course). It gives the same kind of moist texture as buttermilk,
but without the dairy. Among other things I make cupcakes and freeze them
for my daughter to take to birthday parties, so she won't feel left out by
 the birthday cake.
        Someone recently asked about portable treats for children - I buy
boxes of Loucks Sezme brand sesame snaps. They are made of sesame seeds
(high in calcium), sugar, glucose and honey. They are sort of a cross between
cookies and candy, and come four in an individual package. They can be
stuffed into pockets, back packs, purses and car glove compartments, they
last forever, and are great for those times when kids (or grown-ups) need
a little treat or a pick-me-up.They are made in Poland,and distributed by
North Pacific Importers in Kent, Washington,98031. I'm sure other brands
of the same kind of treat can be found. We used to live in Belgium, and
they were easy to find there.
        That's all for now.  Sherill Roberts,
                                McMinnville, Oregon